Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I had my 14 lb dog to the vet a couple of weeks ago for

I had my 14...

I had my 14 lb dog to the vet a couple of weeks ago for coughing and throwing up white and yellow foam and the vet said it could be kennel cough or a viral infection and gave him antibiotics. Well the next day he was throwing up a lot as well as pooping normal poops and did not have an appetite so I rushed him to the emergency vet who felt the medicine was upsetting his stomach and thought he had a respiratory infection and gave him a different antibiotic and he was fine. Now it is starting again. Please advise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not to my knowledge

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Major and he is 10 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Major?

He does have a sensitive stomach but otherwise very healthy

3/8/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

How long has he been off the antibiotic? The symptoms are exactly the same?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe 3 weeks - yes exactly the same

Okay, there are a few thing you can do.

To help settle his stomach, start him on 1/4 of a 10 mg Pepcid AC every 12 hours. That is an over the counter stomach acid reducer.

He does need to see the vet again.

Maybe he needs a longer course of the antibiotic to knock out the infection.

Maybe he needs chest x-ray to see if he has chronic bronchitis, a mass in the chest, or anything else abnormal.

Since he responded to antibiotics last time, I would be inclined to try a two week course of antibiotics.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thanks

He could also have stomach acid reflux. That can cause coughing and vomiting. But that should not respond to antibiotics.

The 1/4 Pepcid tablet should help if it were reflux too.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

You are very welcome.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian