Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Would anxiety or stress cause our just 9 year old JRT to…

Would anxiety or stress...

Would anxiety or stress cause our just 9 year old JRT to start walking very slowly and not wanting to go far for a walk?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He has had blood tests and all clear, he has had an x ray and all fine, he is reluctant to walk up and down stairs, jump up on the sofa and has staretd to walk really slowly and not as far as he use to?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

No where! the vet has done various tests on him and is now suggesting that we should have a MRI scan but cant afford one. He is a very needy dog and recenlty been left a lot longer than normal due to our work, we are also having a few rows at the moment with raised voices which i also think is stressing him out?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Nothing at all, i check him regularlay

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Jack

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?

He was the runt of the litter and the owners were going to have him put down, we took him on, over the last year he has had anal gland problems with them having to be emptied on a regular basis, this is improving slightly due to i think i put porridge in his dinner. the vet did a rectum survey the other day and all felt fine?

3/8/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Jack. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with him. Stress / anxiety can cause various outward signs. Could it cause signs like this? It can't be ruled out. Has your vet done any trials of medication for arthritis though? I know you said that all x-rays have been fine, but this history of walking slowly and being reluctant on the stairs and jumping just seem very suspect for arthritis. It sometimes doesn't show on x-rays but is there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is a very stressy dog, almost frightened of himself, but i love him, would it be worth him having some kind of medication for arthritis to see if this helps? he is not always like this,it seems to come and go?

I would absolutely give a week or two trial of arthritis medication a try. It is something that is very easy to do and it would be very important in my opinion to see how he responds to it. Here is a great link on the various medications that can be tried.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=587

Why not try something simple and see what the results are!?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you i am seeing our vet again tonight so will definitely discuss it with him, thank you for now.

I'm glad to help and am hoping for the best for him!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian