Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was awakened by my 11 yr old having a seizure. She became…

Good morning. I was...

Good morning. I was awakened by my 11 yr old having a seizure. She became incontinent and it’s not like her. I just noticed she is having thick yellow/brown discharge, also. She is having trouble with balance and shaking. She is past her postictal stage. I’m not sure if she had a kidney infection or if it’s something more like a brain tumor. She has no hx of seizures.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

11yr old ***** ***** terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the jack's name?

Harleigh.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harleigh?

She is partially blind from cataracts but no major hx

Im a Paramedic so I know quite a bit with human health. However, I don’t have the info to ‘fix’ her.
3/8/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

Thank you

Aww, I'm sorry Harleigh's having seizures...that's always scary. There are many reasons for seizures...big ones would be metabolic (kidney dz, liver dz, diabetes, etc.) and neurologic (epilepsy, brain tumor, infectious). I'd recommend an initial blood screen to rule out metabolic reasons. Assuming bloodwork's normal, for a dog that's 11 years old that's never had seizures before, the most common reason would be a tumor. Epilepsy is possible, just not very common for an older dog. It is possible that she could have one seizure and never have another, so I probably wouldn't start on medication yet. Only once it gets more frequent than 1 seizure every 1-2 months.

Could a kidney infection cause a seizure? I’ve noticed lots of brown/yellow discharge this morning that she has never had before.

Not a routine urinary tract infection, but if it was bad enough to become pyelonephritis it could. Or if she was already predisposed to have seizures the stress on an infection could lower the threshhold.

Okay! So the best bet would be to take her into a vet to get blood drawn? No antibiotics I could start her on? Just asking in case I cannot get her in today.
I do have fluids at home I could start on her if I needed to

I hope she doesn't continue to have seizures! Yes, I would get a general blood screen and urine check done regardless. I wouldn't start her on anything yet not knowing the bloodwork and urine results. Let me know if I can help with anything else! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian
Ok. Thank you