Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog 11 is collapsing on her back left leg. it seems to be…

My dog 11 is...

My dog 11 is collapsing on her back left leg . it seems to be turning inwards.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry that 11 is feeling poorly. What is the matter with 11?

Her name is ***** ***** she's 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does Ellie seem to hurt?

She is collapsing on her back left leg and it seems to be turned inwards

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellie?

No I've already filled out the form

I was wondering what the xray would show - ie how does the vet diagnose the problem
3/8/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A collapsing hind leg requires a hands-on exam of not only her leg but also Ellie's spine because there may be a structural problem in her leg/hip or in her spine. Myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk"), fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption in the blood supply to the spinal cord), and tumor in or around the spine are important considerations. Ellie's vet will need to carefully palpate (feel) her leg and spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity). Once found, X-rays may be recommended in an attempt to clarify the disorder. MRI may be recommended if X-rays can't "see" the problem. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hullo Michael - Ive just taken her to the vet today to have xrays - so I hope it won't be too serious - it's frightening to see her collapse - thankyou for your reply Annette Angell

Thank you for the update, Annette. I'll think good thoughts for Ellie.

HUllo Michael - thankyou for all of the good thoughts - it all helps - Annette

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
hi Michael - she's been given anti inflamitories and we're waiting to see the surgeon next week-

Thank you for the update. What was diagnosed that might need surgery, please?

the vet thought it was the cruciate ligament but it will depend on what the specialist says - but as she also has developed a lot of calcification in her spine - I think she's got sciatica or a nerve impingement which is causing her to fall over when she moves in a certain way ( and with the ligament being weak as well) so we're also using homepathics from my wholisitic vet( who doesn't live here) , energy healing
( reconnective healing) , ( the emotion and body code) emmett therapy and herbal tinctures - plus there's a masseur down the road who has a thor lazer . we don't have any animal physios or acupuncturists here, so I'm just accessing what I can.

Thank you for the additional information. You're correct to recognize that there may be more than one thing going on in an 11 year old!

I've just turned 60 and have noticed that various aches and pain just seem to linger on and on !!!!

I've got you beat by 10 years. Tell me about it!

hi Michael - well I hope that life is treating you well after so many years of looking after the ones who can't speak for themselves -
we've just had the results of the mri today - the specialist didn't think that her knee was the problem as there wasn't any swelling and it's quite muscly - however she has a herniated disc pressing on her spine - so she must have been in pain for a long time - we're waiting now to hear his decision about the treatment - we live in a highset house as well - so it's also a problem with moving her around - I've ordered a hold them up harness so that I can' help her - Annette

Thank you for the update, Annette. Keep me posted, please.