Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog try to stand up and legs spread out and she can't…

Customer Question
My dog try to...

My dog try to stand up and legs spread out ward and she can't stand up. vet said she may have arthritis.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

Nothing except she can stand because her from legs go out and spread outward away from her body.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't seem to hurt I try to find that out but she never

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Fluffy and she is about 16 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fluffy?

She seems to be healthy but cannot stand up. she has all her shots and the vet said she is fine but thinks maybe she has arthritis.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Fluffy. All 16 year old dogs are osteoarthritic but that doesn't mean that arthritis is the cause of her inability to stand. Geriatric weakness, underlying metabolic disorders causing systemic weakness, myelopathies (spinal cord disorders), and encephalopathies (brain disorders) all need to be considered in such a patient. Fluffy's vet needs to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. X-rays of Fluffy's spine may be needed and MRI is performed if X-rays reveal nothing untoward. I would be reticent to perform either X-rays or MRI in such an elderly dog because there would be little I could do if such imaging revealed a surgical problem. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.