Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 49 pounds husky and she ate 12 grams or 74% dark…

Customer Question
I have a 49...

I have a 49 pounds husky and she ate 12 grams or 74% dark chocolate

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Husky will be able to digest that. What is the Husky's name and age?

She is 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Husky's name?

Roxy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?

She was tanking antibiotics since Friday for four days and metronidazole

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Hi. Thank you for your question about this situation with Roxy. For a girl of her weight to eat 12 grams of 74% dark chocolate, that shouldn't be an issue. 12 grams is an amount that would be more concerning for say a 5-10 pound dog, but for a 49 pound dog, it isn't a toxic dose that needs further treatment. IF she has a more sensitive stomach, there is the very small chance of diarrhea.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she will be alright?

She should be ok if you are not grossly underestimating the amount she ate or her size? Could she have eaten more? How do you know it was 12 grams of the 74% dark chocolate? What was it in?

How is Roxy doing at this time? I'm curious to hear back.

I hope Roxy is doing well at this time. If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian