Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 30 pound cocker spaniel He ate a portion of my…

My dog is a...

My dog is a 30 pound cocker spaniel He ate a portion of my chocolate chip cliff bar. I think it was probably at most 3/4 of the bar. The ingredients say it contains unsweetened chocolate. Is this something I should be concerned about? (the whole bar isn't chocolate....it has chocolate chips interspersed.)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Nothing else.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with your guy. How long ago did he eat this chocolate chip cliff bar?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was between 1 and 4 hours ago.

Was it this specific one?

http://www.clifbar.com/products/clif/clif-bar/chocolate-chip

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but not the whole bar.

Ok. This shouldn't be a bad / toxic situation. That bar is 68 grams. If a 30 pound dog ate 68 grams of pure milk chocolate, it would fall in the range right before causing diarrhea / vomiting. A huge part of that bar is the rolled oats. Eating all of this bar for a dog that size doesn't require any specific therapy. If this one had a little more sensitive stomach, it could cause some diarrhea or vomiting, but nothing that requires treatment at this time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think that the ingredients say unsweetened chocolate, not milk chocolate.

Is the bar mostly rolled oats with the chocolate chips intermixed? Does it have a chocolate coating? Would you say less than 1/2 of the bar is chocolate?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Less than half the bar was chocolate, for sure. The chocolate chips were just here in there, less than in a chocolate chip cookie. No chocolate coating or drizzle.

Ok. So a huge portion of the 68 grams of the bar is something other than an unsweetened chocolate chip. Baker's unsweetened chocolate is more serious than milk chocolate, but it would take over 20 grams of it to cause more than vomiting and diarrhea.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you so much.

Absolutely no problem. I hope all goes as well as it should! Tell him to stay out of trouble. :)

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian