Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was trying to figure the right dosage of chewable pepto…

Customer Question
I was trying to...

I was trying to figure the right dosage of chewable pepto for my 10 lb dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She really doesn’t seem to be hurting

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Bindi 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bindi age 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No She is healthy otherwise.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help.

I personally prefer liquid pepto bismol when treating diarrhea in dogs since I feel it works better than the tablets or chewable pills but they can be used if that's all you have.

Does the label indicate that the active ingredient Bismuth Subsalicylate is 262 mg?

Thanks, Deb

I have the tablets for tonight but can get the liquid in the morning if needed.

The dose of Pepto Bismol in the pill form is 8.75 mg/lb 3-4 times a day which calculates out to be 87.5 mgs for a 10 pound dog. So, the dosage amount would be 1/3th of a 262 mg tablet.

If you're using the liquid, then I dose 1 teaspoon for a 10 pound dog 3-4 times a day.

I'd give one of the tablets you have now and then switch to the liquid tomorrow unless the pills seem to be working.

Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb