Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 30-lb terrier mix got a bottle of Lexapro and

My 30-lb terrier mix...

My 30-lb terrier mix got a bottle of Lexapro and acetaminophen with caffeine. I have NO idea how much she may have ingested of each- all of the Lexapro are missing (10mg per pill, but possibly 10 pills) and some of the acetaminophen are missing. She chewed through both bottles.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Nestle is probably about 2- we just adopted her 2 months ago from a shelter.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Nestle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nestle?

She's very active...? We have another dog, too, but she generally doesn't eat anything other than food. Nestle is still very active.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I found the rest of the Lexapro tabs that were missing! It's just acetaminophen/caffeine that she may have ingested.
3/8/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

***************

If your dog got 10 pills of 10mg = 100mg of Lexapro that is a high dose and concerning. Some of the symptoms are wobbly on feet and lethargy - this could be counteracted by the caffeine in the acetominophen.

Acetaminophen at higher doses can cause liver damage.

Ok. That's great about Lexapro.

How many aceto and caffeine do you think?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hard to say- possibly 5-10 caplets. I know there's 65 mg of caffeine per cap. I can't find my glasses to see how many mg of acetaminophen are in each cap.

Can you take a photo of the label of the bottle and enlarge it on your phone?

The toxic dose that could cause liver damage for your dog of acetominophen is approx 1300mg. If he has got more than that you need to get your vet now. If they are not open you need to get to your ER vet ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
500mg acetaminophen + 65 mg caffeine each
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My son says he cleaned up 10 pills that she spit up while I was looking for the bottle. She may have gotten one or two pills that were not spit up.

If it is more than 2 pills then you need to get to your vet.

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thank you!
My pleasure
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian