Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 2 Havanese, 1 is 8 months old and approx 10 lbs and…

I have 2 Havanese...

I have 2 Havanese, 1 is 8 months old and approx 10 lbs and the other is 16 months old and about 16 lbs. I was out to dinner and they got hold of arthritis strength Tylenol. There are 6 pills missing. I do not know if they ate them or not. They are not acting any different. Should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Havanese will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Havanese?

No, not that I can think of other than I have not fed them yet tonight

3/8/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since you suspect they ingested the pills?

Maybe 30 -45 minutes

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

How many milligrams were each tablet?

650

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, 1 tablet can be toxic to the smaller dog and 2 tablets for the bigger dog. So, if 6 pills are missing and they did eat them they are at risk of developing liver toxicity. So, I would prefer to err on side of caution and try to make them vomit. This is what you can do:

1- Give the small dog 1 teaspoon and 1/2 tablespoon to the bigger dog of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow them to walk for a minute and move their belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If they do not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If they do not vomit or you do not see the pills in the vomit I would have them checked by the nearest ER veterinarian for supportive care. I know they are not showing any symptoms, but, symptoms make take as long as 48 hours; it is best to not wait until symptoms develop.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter