Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 year old dog weighs about 13 pounds and ate about a…

My 14 year old...

My 14 year old dog weighs about 13 pounds and ate about a half of a 200 mg ibuprofen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Little bit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She has already sick to her stomach prior to ingesting

3/8/2018
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently, I'm reviewing your question and will be back to you in a few minutes.

I have a question before I can help you properly, as far as you know does your dog have any problems with her kidneys? Or is she in good health?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is just aging is all she has arthritis and is overweight

Thank you I'll be right back with your answer.

I have good news for you. She ingested 16mg for each kilogram of her body weight. Generally, in healthy animals, they have to ingest over 25mg per kilogram of body weight. So she should be fine. However, you need to watch her very very carefully. In older dogs, they can be more sensitive to kidney damage or ulcers in the stomach. I would start giving her either 1/2 of a Pepcid AC or 1/2 of a Zantac 75 twice daily for the next week to try to protect her stomach. If she starts vomiting repeatedly, refuses to eat, or starts vomiting or defecating anything black then she needs to see the vet immediately. Otherwise, if she is otherwise healthy, she should be just fine with only the antacids I listed above. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have pepcid or zantac at the moment can starting that tomorrow be ok?

The sooner the better.

Dr. Dan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All I have at my home now is tums

You can certainly try those, most 24 hour pharmacies, stores, and even gas stations have antacids. It's possible she'll be fine until tomorrow, I just can't know for sure, and you want to start the H2 blockers as soon as possible.

Dr. Dan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in the country is why I asked. would a half of a tum be all I should give her?

Give an entire tums.

Dr. Dan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very very much for your help.

You are welcome, good luck.

Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian