Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have 6 month old Boston terrier. He has been vomiting and…

Hi, we have 6...

Hi, we have 6 month old Boston terrier. He has been vomiting and drinking a lot today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that we know of. He was outside alone for a little bit and he is always finding thing to stick in his mouth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Huxley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Huxley?

We found a roundish bump on his neck yesterday, we checked and it did I not appear to be tick.

3/8/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Does he have diarrhea?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

His stool is soft, loose but no diarrhea yet
He is not lethargic
25 lbs
Drooling and, coughing up saliva

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy common causes are gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination by a veterinarian to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting, the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Thanks. That was super helpful.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian