Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She came in from outside and laued, She farted blood. Looks…

She came in from...

She came in from outside and laued

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She farted blood. Looks like she has bite marks on her hind quarters and a cut on her leg. She may have gotten in a fight with another animal. She's having a hrd time getting her back legs under her when she tries to stand up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

Layla. A 3 yr old boxer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Layla?

She's been very healthy. No problems.

3/8/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Layla has blood coming from the rectum and there are bite marks on the rear legs. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Are you able to send pictures of the bite wounds so I can assess if these require immediate treatment? How is her overall attitude, is she appearing lethargic or still her normal bright and alert self?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seems like her normal self but you can tell she's hurting.

It sounds like she could definitely use some pain management. The blood from the rectum has me concerned. If this is from trauma due to the bite wound then that would make sense based on her injuries. It would not necessarily be a cause for emergency as long as she is not actively bleeding. If there is active bleeding from the rectum then that is an issue of an emergency. The bite wounds will likely require to be throughout irrigated, cleaned, and antibiotics are likely necessary. Pain management with an anti-inflammatory +/- an opioid can be given as well. Are you able to see a veterinarian tonight or first thing tomorrow?

Thank you for the picture. There is generalized redness on the skin and there are two superficial excoriations on the skin, but I do not see punctures that extend through the skin. If that is the worst of it then it would not likely require extensive treatment beyond a topical antibiotic like Neosporin and basic cleaning with an antiseptic solution. It would not explain the severe pain she is feeling though. I am assuming there are more wounds or she is painful in some other part of the body such as the spine or hips.

My recommendation would be to monitor her mental status and it should remain bright and alert (i.e. not lethargic). Keep her quiet and resting for tonight and have her examined in the morning. Aspirin can be given for pain relief, but it might get in the way of a different pain medication approach that your veterinarian would want to use tomorrow. However, if she is very painful tonight then you could definitely give aspirin.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Layla is doing much better. Though she is very sore she is moving around much better. She's in good spirits. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian