Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5 year old done named Aleks. She's between 90 and…

I have a 5...

I have a 5 year old done named Aleks. She's between 90 and 100 lbs. (I know she's overweight) she's always had a sensitive stomach. She eats 4 health food, different than my other dogs. Occasionally she has diarrhea out of the blue, Pepto takes care of that in about 30 mins. This morning she woke me up at 5 am to go outside which is unusual for her also. For the next 2 and half hours she vomited constantly. Started off just slimey then turned to more solid and formed like a log. Resembled something that would come from the other end. I've never seen anything like it before so it worried me. I was about to take her to the vet but the vomiting stopped, she just laid there kind of growling for awhile then she started drinking ALOT of water. She's been resting all day but you can tell she doesn't feel well. She's started burping that smells like rotten eggs. I'm making rice and chicken bouillon for her now. She hasn't eaten anything since about midnight last night approximately 20 hours. Is there anything I can do for her? Or do I need to be concerned that it's anything serious? She doesn't take any medications and she threw up the Pepto in about 30 seconds after giving it this morning. I haven't tried anything else. Thank you in advance for any advice

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Auto correct * she's a dobie

I can't think of anything else the vet should know but I'll answer any questions
3/8/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Aleks is having a recent history of vomiting and a lack of appetite. I understand she has a long history of a sensitive stomach and occasional diarrhea, which resolves with Pepto Bismol. Let me know if I missed anything regarding the history. Has she ever had any diagnostic tests performed like a fecal exam, blood work, ultrasound or x-rays, or a food trial with a hypoallergenic diet?

She's had fecal exams and blood work, current on all shots, no x-rays or that kind of testing. She has been diagnosed with food allergy that's why she eats the 4 health dog food. She just went outside and it started as diarrhea but was normal when she finished. She gets absolutely no people food. She has a growth on her chest the vet said is nothing more than a growth nothing to be concerned about but it does seem to be growing and she's had some issue with her legs in the last month. She's not as sure footed and has one issues getting on the couch and up steps once in awhile. She snores heavily at times and sometimes sounds like she's snoring or lightly growling even when awake. I assumed this was because of her weight

Thank you for that information. There are many causes of chronic diarrhea and sporadic vomiting. It would make sense if the issue was related to the intestine and a food allergy would be on the list of differentials. However, there are other possibilities that would require additional testing such as inflammatory bowel disease, atypical Addison's Disease, food intolerance, etc. It sounds like intestinal parasites have been ruled out, so that takes care of one common potential diagnosis. Internal organ inflammation such as the pancreas can also cause chronic loose stool and that is not usually part of a normal routine blood exam.

Regarding the food, the 4Health brand is a good food, but it is not one particularly used for food allergies. It also has barley, which is a grain and that can sometimes cause upset stomach and difficulty with digestion. There are prescription diets that are typically given for food allergies, such as Hill's z/d or Royal Canin Hydrolyzed. These would be more specifically recommended as a diet management for a food allergy.

Treatment for acute vomiting is to give a medication to decrease nausea and also to withhold all food for 12-24 hours. A good over-the-counter medication you can give to help control nausea is Pepcid. The dose for a 100 lb dog dose is 20 mg (i.e. 2 tablets) every 12 hours. Let me know if Aleks weighs more than that and I can give you the dose for him.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed him a low fat diet like what you have been feeding. Feed this in small amounts. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow him to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring his hydration status 1-2 times per day. If he continues to vomit then he should be treated by a veterinarian.

Does that help to answer your question?

I've had her 5 years and this is unlike anything I've ever seen with her. The vomiting is rare. She hasn't thrown up in 12 hours but the rotten smelling burps are a concern. I'll try the pepcid and if she's still not herself in the morning I'll take her to the vet
Is there a way for me to know if she's dehydrated? It was alot of vomiting this morning and that was one of my concerns

There are two methods to check for dehydration. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if she is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

The rotten smell can happen with excessive gas production associated with inflammation in the stomach. The burping is a sign of that as well. The Pepcid should help, but if vomiting continues then a prescription medication from your veterinarian may be necessary.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
I did the skin tent test. It went down immediately. Thank you for your time and help