Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just noticed a liquid lump between 10 day old lab pups

shoulder blades. Weigh pups every...
Just noticed a liquid lump between 10 day old lab pups shoulder blades. Weigh pups every day am and pm, and did not see it this morning. Pup does not seem to be in discomfort and is nursing well. Could bitch have stepped on her or maybe knocked off teet when leaving whelp box. I have Velcro collars on pups and it was not tight.
I’ve touched and petted pup from head to back and it is definitely a liquid mass under skin
Any help would be appreciated
3/8/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have some pups with each having a small liquid-filled mass between the shoulders. Is that a correct summary of the situation, each pup has a mass?

No just one pup

Ok, good. Thank you for that information. There are a few different reasons for this. Possible masses that feel fluid-filled in a puppy are expected to either be a histiocytoma, hematoma, hamartoma, or hemangioma. A cyst could also be a possibility. These are not cancers, and a fine needle aspirate and cytology would examine which one it is. A hematoma can develop from trauma such as from the mother dog biting on the neck. A hamartoma is a developmental mass that can be removed by aspirating its contents. A histiocytoma usually resolve after 3-6 months and do not require treatment. A hemangioma would be the one that could be potentially more aggressive, so that is the one to rule out. They should be easily distinguishable on a cytology.

Does that help to answer your question?

I need to see a vet to aspirate the mass

Yes, that would be the only way to find out what it is. It will most likely be one of the benign growths I mentioned, but to find out exactly what it is, an aspirate is needed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Hi David,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Purple. How is everything going?
***** *****
Went to vet, Thursday and they took sample of fluid and tested, said it was cystic fluid buildup from some sort of trauma, no infection. Bitch may have stepped in pup or pickup. Don’t know. With that said, when does fluid go down or does nature have to cure what’s wrong by itself.

Glad to hear it is just a cyst. These will often go away on their own without any sort of treatment. If it is still around in 5-6 months then it can be biopsied and often removed without anesthesia. Just a local block of lidocaine around the skin. There is no problem in letting it be there while sh continues to grow.