Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has started shaking some and is not steady on feet in…

my dog has started shaking...
my dog has started shaking some and is not steady on feet in last 30 mins. was outside around our house an hour begore that. what's wrong?
3/8/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

***************

Is Daisy vomiting?

ANy coughing?

Is she eating?

When did she last poop and pee?

Any access to toxins around the house?

she is eating. everything normal. no access to toxins around hoyse i know of

Ok.

Do you have poisonous animals, snakes or ticks in your area?

If you look at her eyes are they moving normally or seem normal?

Is she scratching at her ears or shaking her head?

Does she respond to your voice?

no, no, yes

Unfortunately I need to move away from my computer now - sorry. I will remove myself from the conversation and allow another vet to assist you.

Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. I would be happy to help answer your questions regarding Daisy tonight. Please let me know when you are online so we can discuss further. Thank you.

i am resdy
online

Okay great. It sounds like it might be possible that Daisy may have hurt herself outside. She may have tripped or fallen and caused a soft tissue injury. Shaking/trembling can be a sign of several things but pain is definitely one of them. If she was outside unsupervised then we may never know for sure what happened. But, if she seems stable meaning she is not crying in pain, no labored breathing, and not collapsing then I would recommend resting her for a few days. If she did sustain a simple soft tissue injury such as strain or sprain then resting is the best medicine for her. No running, jumping, or playing for 7 days. If you can keep her confined to a dog crate that would be best. She can be taken outside while on a leash for potty breaks only. If you think she is worsening after 1 day of rest, then she needs a vet exam.

I would recommend you check the top and bottom of her paws to make sure she didn't step on something sharp.

not physical. walks fine. off balance, weak in legs
can tell she doesn't feel right

How old is Daisy and what breed of dog is she?

10 years. terrier/bearded collie

Okay. Has she ever had a seizure episode before? Some of the signs you are describing could fit with a post-ictal (after seizure phase).

no seizure before

They can be disoriented, weak, walking like they are drunk (called ataxia) and shaky after a seizure. So it is possible she had a seizure while unsupervised outside. Again, there will be no way to tell 100% unless you witness her have another seizure.

she is not disoriented, just doesn't feel good, stiil interested in good food, came on acutely
still unsteady and shaky

Most vets would not start an anti-seizure medication until the pet is having a few seizures within a several week period. Therefore, for right now if Daisy still seems stable to you I would recommend monitoring her. Yes - a seizure can happen acutely. Other than a toxicity, a soft tissue injury or a neurological episode it is going to be difficult to guide you further without evaluating her in person.

I would recommend continuing to monitor her tonight. Try to keep her comfortable. DO not let her near any stairs if she is unsteady on her feet we don't want her to fall and hurt herself. If she is still shaking in the morning, then she needs to be evaluated by her vet. If you are concerned about her tonight, then you always have the option of taking her to a 24/7 ER vet.

thanks. wanted to make sure this wasn't life/death situation

It really does not sound like she is critical. I cannot tell you 100% though without seeing her myself. Use your best judgement on waiting until tomorrow vs taking her in tonight. If your gut is telling you that something more is going on and she is seriously not okay, then I would trust yourself. But, in my professional opinion it sounds like it can wait until the morning. I do hope this information is helpful to you and Daisy. Please let me know if I can help you with any other questions or concerns. My hope is that by the morning she is not shaking anymore and is completely back to normal. If you could please hit accept at the top right of your screen I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and good luck with Daisy.

Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. I am checking in on Daisy. Is she still shaking this morning?

not really. just noticing her resting now and shakes a little. she still doesn't feel good. she did eat some grits this morning. am taking her to my vet this morning at her recommendation (was able to talk with her last night)

Okay. I hope she begins acting like her normal self soon. Good luck with her.

thx