Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was chasing a ball and cane back limping. No blood or…

My dog was chasing...

My dog was chasing a ball and cane back limping. No blood or obvious marks, but she is in pain. What can I give her to get her thru the night before I can get her to the vet tomorrow n the morning?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is not

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Bubbles 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bubbles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubbles?

No she is healthy and active

3/8/2018
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. This is not a straight forward question.

If she has no existing liver/kidney issues or sensitive stomach issues you may use aspirin at 5 mg per pound; be sure it is buffered.

But, this is likely to interact with pain relief medication your vet may prescribe, if a non steroidal antiinflammatory is considered appropriate (it's usually our top choice for orthopedic issues). So, you need to tell your vet you gave this tonight. It may mean you have to give other drugs in addition to the pain relief your vet prescribes to protect her stomach.

Thank you. I will get the non buffered aspirin and let the vet know tomorrow!
What is buffered aspirin?
Please answer, can I use Evernote?
i mean enteric coated? That is all the drug store has

Yes, enteric coated works.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

**Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified