Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a lab and we were playing tennis and she took one to…

She is a lab...

She is a lab and we were playing tennis and she took one to the eye. She yelped. Her eye is red, the white part. She went swimming and she isn't acting like she is in pain. Can I wait until tomorrow to see what to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the lab's name and age?

Roxy and she is 10.

3/8/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this accident. How long ago did this happen? Is she holding that eye open when at rest? Is she squinting and wanting to hold it shut?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She looks okay but the white part is red. She looks like she closes it a bit. Maybe the chorine irritated it? Can i wait until the morning. It doesnt look it hurts at all.

If she was holding that eye shut, there was blood inside of the eye, or she was really uncomfortable - then it would seem more of an emergency situation. I've seen lots of cases over my years where a ball has hit an eye. For a vast majority, it is just discomfort due to the hit. A small percentage do get a scratch on the eye and get an ulcer. These are the ones that hold the eye shut or squint a lot. They are the ones that do need veterinary care to get some medication to help it heal. If she's just got a red white part of the eye and is holding it open pretty well, it doesn't seem like the ulcer situation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much!!!!!

No problem. I hope all goes well! Accidents like this happen! I've seen tennis balls, golf balls, footballs, walnuts, nerf darts, etc.. with similar incidents.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh my golf balls!!!!!!thank you ever so much!

A golf ball is definitely less forgiving! :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello!!! Good morning and good morning it is. Roxy, my lab, woke up this morning and her eye looks perfectly normal!!!!! Thank you so much for comforting me and allowing to rest at ease last night.

Yeah! Glad to hear all is back to normal! Hopefully all continues to go well. Tell her to be careful, no Rec-specs yet for dogs. :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hahaha. For real. Thank you. Have a wonderful day.

I will! Just about to walk my two furry ones with my kids to school. Take care and give Roxy a good ear scratching for me since I can't!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian