Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been vomiting for 5 days now. He can't keep

My dog has been...

My dog has been vomiting for 5 days now. He can't keep anything down and I have not seen him drink any water. I fed him some pumpkin and rice mixed with pedialyte and he threw that up and then tried to just syringe pedialyte down his throat and he threw that up. The nearest emergency vet to me is 4 hours away and the closest vet appointment I have at a local vet is Monday. I scheduled it but I'm afraid it may be to late if he has to wait that long.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

I don't think so, he has an affinity for cat poop when cats come into the yard and use it as a litter box. But other than that there couldn't have been anything else that he ate. He is on heart guard that he takes every month on the 23rd so he should be protected from worms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He acts aggressively after vomiting, but I'm assuming that is because he is in pain. He's always extremely sweet other than when he has been vomiting these past few days.

3/7/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Breed?

3- Weight?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1 year old, he is a staffed shire bull terrier/blue heeler mix, 36 pounds, he has always been very healthy, and he just seems to just want to sleep. But other than that he's acting fairly normal.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Staffordshire*

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, you are right, waiting until Monday to see your vet may be too late. I am really concerned about hydration if he has been vomiting and not drinking for 5 days. In a young dog, common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, an infection, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. In addition, the vet will start him on a supportive care of IV fluids, antiemetics, etc. I understand the ER vet is 4 hours away, I would either walk into your vet's office without an appointment as an emergency or I would take him to ER veterinarian he shouldn't wait any longer. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-5 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-5 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, he can continue to have water. Leave him without food for 12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with ER or family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. I think I will make the trip to the Emergency vet tonight. He's my baby and I would do anything for him. I just had to make sure I wasn't overreacting to what is going on and that driving to the vet was the right decision. Thankyou

You are not overreacting, this is the right decision. Please keep me posted. Good luck and drive safe.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian