Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is a puppy. Four months old. He is so hyper and he's

Customer Question
He is a puppy...

He is a puppy. Four months old. He is so hyper and he's really playful . When we try to brush him or trim the hair on his face, he turns vicious. Two of us can't hold him down. He goes to the Groomers next Tuesday for the first time. I'm not sure if they can handle him. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?

He is very playful but when we try to brush him or even clean his face he turns vicious and we can't hold him he growls and bites He goes to the Groomers next Tuesday and I am so afraid they won't be able to groom. Him. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

We just took him to the vet. He said there were drugs but he can't get them until he is a year old.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. It sounds like your pup needs some special care for his behavioral issues. The best thing for starting out is to go very slow, use a ton of calm positive praise (NO high pitch voices), and use treats (training treats, peanut butter, diced boiled chicken breast, etc - stay away from lunch meat because it is too fatty). You will want to try a gentle restraint by holding him close to your body for 60 seconds a few times per day. One of you will hold him while the other feeds him treats. You want him to get used to being held and realize he gets your love, praise and treats for holding still. If he struggles then simply let go of him and try again in a little bit. Never raise your voice or chase him. If you are successful with this for 3 or 4 days in a row, then you can start brushing him. Same concept - brush gently while giving positive praise and treats for 1-2 minutes at a time. Do not scold if he gets upset. Just simply tell him in a firm low voice "No" and put him down. Do not wrestle him to get him brushed because you are setting your progress back 10 steps. I would cancel the grooming appointment for next week and reschedule for 2-3 weeks from now. You are likely going to traumatize him and make things a lot worse for everyone if you have him groomed before you have gotten results at home.
I really like this website for advice and its free! - https://fearfreehappyhomes.com

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

Please let me know if that is helpful and what other questions I can help you with. Thank you.

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb