Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She Has been lethargic and not eating or drinking for 24…

Customer Question
She Has been lethargic...

She Has been lethargic and not eating or drinking for 24 hours. She has been exposed to other dogs that were sick and had vomiting and diarrhea but she has neither.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Has been lethargic and not eating or drinking for 24 hours. She has been exposed to other dogs that were sick and had vomiting and diarrhea but she has neither.Yes I am elected to only get her one of her distemper Pardo shot because I read to write articles is the very small dogs should only have one and she was only about 6 pounds of the time now she’s only about 9 pounds and she is one and a half years old. She has been exposed to text although she has none because I gave her take prevention but the dogs around her and also got a tick fever at one point.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian.
Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea recently?
When was the last time she ate?
Is there any possibility she may have gotten into anything or gotten anything - table scraps, household cleaners, rat bait, antifreeze, medications (human or pet), or chewed up a toy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She hasn’t had zany bomiting or diahrrea and she hadn’t eaten or drank in 25 hours but she did just drink a little water. I was visiting friends who sre not careful with thier digs and have all those bad things you mentioned easily accessible to the dogs but i didn’t actually see her get into anything. The lethargy id slsrmingvto me.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry about the typos I hope u get the gist.
Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

Okay. Well it is good that there is no vomiting or diarrhea. Typically with parvovirus a dog will have lethargy, decreased appetite/thirst and vomiting and diarrhea. So lets hope it is not Parvovirus.
I would recommend cooking her a bland diet and offering this to her tonight. You will boil chicken breast and mix it 50:50 with cooked white rice. You can put a little low-sodium chicken broth on it to make it more appetizing. If she is 9 pounds you can offer 1/4 cup every 8 hours for 4 days. If she still does not want to eat this tonight, then she needs to be taken to the vet tomorrow for some supportive care and likely blood work.

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

What other questions can I help you with?

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would greatly appreciate if you would hit accept on the top right of your screen. I hope she feels better soon and eats the bland diet for you. Thank you and good luck!

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

Hello. I am checking in to see if you were able to get her to eat overnight? Please let me know if you have any questions. Please hit accept at the top right of your screen. Thank you.

Dog Veterinarian: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb
Chelsea Schwarb