Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a potbelly pig that was attacked by a dog. He has…

Customer Question
I have a potbelly...

I have a potbelly pig that was attacked by a dog. He has punture wounds to both ears and the keft ear is torn, I cleaned both and have used blue kote on both of them I wrapped the one that was torn with Vaseline gauze and bondo wrap he is still getting up using the bathroom but will not eat or drink

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the pig. What is the pig's name and age?

I also have given him penicillin G 3 ml

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the pig?

I have him covered and under a heat lamp to keep him warm is there anything else I can do to help him I read I can give him Tylenol 5 mg per lb every 8 hrs he is 300 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pig's name?

Boomer

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I am so sorry that Boomer was injured. How long ago did the attack occur? It sounds like he is probably still scared, mad & in a bit of shock.

Yes, you can give the Tylenol, but I prefer to only give it twice a day. You can give him 2000 mg every 12 hours, but try to not give it longer than 3 days to prevent upsetting his digestive tract.

You can use banana or grapes to ty & get the medication in him, or you can use the children's product as long as it does not have a decongestant in it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will try the Tylenol I've been using a syringe and squirting about 10 ml of Apple juice in his mouth and also giving him about 5 ml of kayro syrup to keep his sugar up and keep him hydrated

Excellent. I will be back online in a few hours if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much

You are so welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Linda
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is doing better, he is still not eating much of his pig chow, but will eat fresh fruits and vegetables, we did manage to get him to eat a cup of pig chow, and a bowel of apples, carrots, grapes, and bananas today and he is drinking fine. A lot of swelling has gone down and he is moving around a lot better, my main concern is his ears are stiff, not sure if that is normal? I have been cleaning them and have used iodine and the blue kote antiseptic and triple antibiotic ointment on them, not sure if that is why. The puncture wounds have been healing nicely and the ear that had torn cartilage we clipped the cartilage and dressed the ear the best we could, it seems to be holding, I'm just concerned about his ears being stiff.

It is hard to say what may be going on with the ears without actually examining the tissues, but there may have been enough damage to cause the tissues to die. He may wind up losing part of the flap, only time will tell. The iodine can be quite drying so I would switch to using a triple antibiotic or Neosporin. Poor guy, just glad that he is finally feeling better.

Hello, again.

How is Boomer doing today?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is back to normal for the most part, his ears are still stiff and he still has some swelling making it a little difficult for him to see, but he gets outside he's eating and drinking normal, using the bathroom, he's even back to wagging his tail. Now if the tissue around his ears is dead will it just fall off? Is that going to cause him any more problems? He seems to still be able to hear us.

If the skin has not sloughed, it probably will not at this point. But IF it should, it will not affect his hearing at all.

Glad to hear he is doing so much better. Great job caring for him.

Take care.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian