Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a 8 yr old Shitzu and recently won’t climb stairs or…

She is a 8...

She is a 8 yr old Shitzu and recently won’t climb stairs or jump on the couch.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

It’s like she is in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lady

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lady?

Not really shes losing her teeth

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry about lady. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
this is a common occurrence and small breed dogs especially at this age. The most common reason for these changes which include unwillingness to climb the stairs and jump is intervertebral disc disease or back pain. Oftentimes these dogs will exhibit these changes in there will be no known injury. As these dog's age they develop arthritis in their backs which makes them more prone to injury. It doesn't take much for them to injure their backs and then stop doing normal activity. Some of these dogs are so uncomfortable that they don't even want to eat and drink normally and spend much of their time hiding.
there will be no known injury
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anything I can do for her?
The most important thing for you to do is to rest her. She should not be taken out for any walks, encouraged to play or run, or able to jump up and down off of things. Even if she starts feeling better it would be important for you to rest her for 7 to 10 days at minimum.Often times these dogs need pain medications or muscle relaxers. I do not recommend you giving any human medication as this can be either toxic or quite irritating to their stomach. The most important thing to do is to take her in for an exam and possible x-rays if she is not getting better.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She likes to be with me all the time so she’s not hiding. She just sits now and whimpers when she wants on the couch or go upstairs
If the injury is not too significant she may do well with just rest. You can also give her a warm bath. Just be very careful and how you pick her up. Make sure that you are always supporting her body and protecting her back.
Well at least she is resting herself and lets you know when she wants to get up instead of doing it herself. That is good.
These symptoms just started then give it a little time and see if she improves. You will absolutely know if she is not getting better and then it will be important to take her in. I hope that helps. Please let me know if I can clarify anything. The nice thing about this site is that even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week, so keep me posted on how she is doing. Sincerely ***** *****
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you very much
You are welcome.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian