Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog a 10 year old cattle dog mix has a small tubular

Hi, my dog a 10...
Hi, my dog a 10 year old cattle dog mix has a small tubular growth on her head it looks almost like a wart of some sort but a tube shape, it does not seem to bother her but is growing further out with time. I have photos available as well just want to know if it's something they may go away on its own of it needs to be removed?
3/7/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup has a horn shaped growth on her head. Thank you for the pictures.

Growths are unlikely to go away on their own in this age of a dog. They may or may not be malignant (spreading deeply into tissues around the growth or to other sites in the body) but they will continue to grow. So if it isn't bothering her and is growing slowly and your pup is having another procedure, like a dental cleaning it is best to have it removed then.

Probable causes of this type of growth include a cutaneous horn (proliferation of the skin or keratin cells in a benign growth) or a sebaceous adenoma (benign proliferation of of the oil gland or sebaceous cells).

From your pictures this really looks like a cutaneous horn. While the top of the growth may fall off the base will remain and it will regrow. And the base may become infected if that happens.

If she's a very calm dog they may be able to use a local anesthetic and remove the growth, making sure to remove the base and tissue just below it so the growth is gone for good.

Best of luck with your girl. Please let me know if you have any questions

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your very detailed response! I will follow up with her regular veterinarian to see what options for removal we can pursue if it begins to bother her or gets much bigger. Thank you again :)

You are very welcome, glad to help.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian