Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Lily is a 5 year old peppy mini dachshund! She usually

Hi! Lily is a 5...
Hi! Lily is a 5 year old peppy mini dachshund! She usually jumping and running. Last week she volted a nail on her front paw. We went to the vet and got it treated and he put her on amoxicillin. She’s been fine. A little constipated, but still eating and normal stuff, but this morning she wouldn’t go up the stairs or even sit back on her tush. Vet is closed Bc if the weather here. Can you advise?
3/7/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you!

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Lily today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Has she been favoring the paw with the broken nail or bothering with it at all?

Is she limping on any other of her legs?

Can she still stand up on her own and move about normally?

Is she still eating and drinking normally?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is favoring the paw a little, but not as much as originally, thankfully. Once I take her off the couch she is walking fine and eating fine and going to the bathroom fine on the wee wee pads. I walked her around the yard and she went to the bathroom too, just to get a change in scenery. Lol she is standing and walking fine too! No shaking or anything while standing or walking. Does that help?

Yes, that is helpful. When did you last see her pass a bowel movement?

Is she scooting or trying to lick her anal area?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She last went about 2 hours ago and it was the first Full one. For the past 2 days it’s been small little round hard balls. This afternoon 2 Long and normal. She’s not scooting or going after her bottom at all. When I rubbed her tummy earlier she gave a little whistle but after she went this afternoon she has not and the bloat has gone down, but still not going up the steps, but will go down.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be a muscle spasm? When I rubbed by her back leg earlier today I felt a little spams. She made a small sounds and then. The spasm feeling thing went away and every time I touch that area it’s fine and she’s just living being rubbed and pet which is normal for her.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you push on her belly she still gets a little uncomfortable because I just did it, but pepped up quite a bit after the bowel movement earlier

Sorry, I had to step away for a minute. I am typing a reply now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just walked around the yard for a bit! Did another normal bowel movement! Went down the stairs (slowly) but did!

I have a couple of thought on that.

1) Some dogs develop GI symptoms (gas, diarrhea) while taking antibiotics (ABs). It doesn't sound like there is any diarrhea, but she may have some gas and discomfort because of it. If she is going to be on the ABs much longer, you could ask your vet to prescribe a probiotic, like Purina's fortiflora to see if it will help.

2) My other thought is that she may be having a muscle spasm as you say and those are very often secondary to a spinal disc problem, of which her breed is prone to. The bulging disc can put pressure on the spinal cord and lead to pain in the area affected as well as cause the regional muscles to spasm which adds to the pain. Dogs with disc disease often present to us with a reluctance to climb the stairs. If that is the case, strict rest is one of the hallmarks of treatment, along with pain medication if needed. For now, I would keep her quite and not allow any sort of jumping on or off of things as well as avoiding the stairs. If her pain persists, worsens or if other neurologic signs develop (such as wobbliness on back legs) I would have her evaluated right away, even if that means an ER clinic.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you so much

Here is a link with more information about disc disease in dogs. LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I ask one more question while i have you?

Of course!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her back left leg looks stiff. Could this be coming from a spasm or even gas because she’s uncomfortable? She’s not walking funny though

Yes, more likely a muscle spasm, than gas, but it could be either. I would let her rest and see if it gets better over the next 12-24 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great! Thank you so much! You certainly put my mind at ease a bit!

You rare very welcome.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just wanted to let you know that lily has a torn ACL and is on the mend! Thank you for all your knowledge and help yesterday

Thank you for the update. I am glad she is better.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian