Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our guinea pig seems to have trouble with balance today and…

Customer Question
Our guinea pig seems...

Our guinea pig seems to have trouble with balance today and his one eye is crusty. It had been watering for 3 days now. He's eating and drinking fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the guinea pig's name?

Cliff

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I’m Tom a Veterinarian in the UK. Hopefully I can help you and your guinea pig. So I'll tackle both of the symptoms separately initially although they may be linked.
You say he is off balance, when you look at him is his head tilted to one side? Or is he falling over? If his head is tilted it is likely he has a vestibular problem. This is where either the brain or balance organs in the ear have an issue. Most of these cases it's an ear problem which is good as these are more readily treatable. There can be quite a few causes of vestibular problems ranging from simple inflammation or infection to more complex/ serious causes like tumors (these are much less common though)
The crusty eye is something we see commonly in guinea pigs, sometimes this is an infectious conjunctivitis, it could be a traumatic conjunctivitis or potentially he could have something trapped under his eyelid (commonly straw or hay). These are the most common causes by a long way, there are however many conditions which could cause crustiness around the eye, some more serious than others.
Piecing things together it may be there is an upper respiratory tract infection linking the eye and head tilt as these infections can affect the ear too and lead to balance issues.
Honestly I think he probably needs to see a Veterinarian so they can give him a good check over and have a good look in his eye, he might need some antibiotics and/or anti-inflammatories. It's possible he may improve on his own but equally he could worsen without appropriate medications.

If I can be of any further assistance just ask.

Best wishes
Tom Crippen BVSc MRCVS

I would also say, if his eye is becoming cloudy, red swollen or very painful then it's a good idea to see a veterinarian sooner rayher than later. Thanks

Hi, how's Cliff getting on now? Tom
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian