Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog (maltese mix) ate 3 pistachio shells, will this hurt…

My dog (maltese mix)...

My dog (maltese mix) ate 3 pistachio shells, will this hurt her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is Willow. She is a maltese mixed with a silky terrier. She is going on 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willow?

No not really. Just the shells

3/7/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

The concern with the shells is her size and whether they were chewed or whole? They can have sharp edges and with a smaller dog can be a risk for an obstruction since they are not very digestible

ok
She did try to chew but I think she mostly swallowed them whole

Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because the shells can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction or damage but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed

1.) Feed a piece of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the shells to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage if chewed

4.) Monitor for signs of the shells coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours, they should be partially digested

5.) Tonight a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat which is bland yet also bulking
6.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the shells through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

ok thanks!

You are very welcome :)

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian