Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dogs allergies have caused us to his food. The recipe:

Our dogs allergies have caused...
Our dogs allergies have caused us to cook his food. The recipe: ground turkey: red lentils: carrots are what he gets along with 2 scoops of Dynamite for vit. and minerals. He was 38 pounds when started and while we don't know his weight now he appears to be losing and his ribs are easily felt under the skin. He eats well, enjoys the food and appears healthy but wondering about his loss of weight and what to do. It was suggested more carbs in the food but he's allergic to everything else. Any ideas?
3/7/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Buddy is being treated for food allergies with a home cooked diet, but he is steadily losing weight. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Can you please tell me if you are following a recipe customized for Buddy?

Actually just one that contains only foods he isn't allergic to. Turkey is the only easy food we can get everything else is exotic and not sold in stores so ground turkey is pretty much our protein and carrots and red lentils our carbs period. A lady at our pet shop/groomers uses this recipe and I copied what she does.
We have added a kibble with duck and are waiting to see if the olive oil in it will be a problem as olives are on the list of allergens for him.

Thank you for that information. One of the things to keep in mind is that a recipe that is not customized to each individual dog may be insufficient of calories. It may also be insufficient of vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc. My recommendation for home cooking is to follow a customized recipe for Buddy made by a veterinary nutritionist. This way you know that the diet is being created with Buddy's needs in mind. A great way of getting that is to go to www.secure.balanceit.com. From that website you can get a recipe made specifically to fit Buddy's needs. They also recommend you use their vitamin and mineral supplement to make sure there are no deficiencies.

Assuming the calorie needs are being met and we are not underfeeding Buddy, common causes for weight loss consist of intestinal parasites, intestinal inflammatory disorders (i.e. inflammatory bowel disease), metabolic disorders (i.e. diabetes) or internal organ disease like kidney or liver disease. Most of these items can be ruled out with a simple blood test or a fecal exam for the parasites. In addition to the recipe change discussed above, I recommend to have a thorough diagnostic work up done for Buddy to make sure nothing is being missed.

Does that help to answer your question?

thank you. I cannot rate you until the stars are released. Please do that.

Thank you very much for your rating. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Take care!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Beverly Shaw,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Scott Perry