Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has been vomitting for about 4 hours now. The first time…

Hello, she has been...

Hello, she has been vomitting for about 4 hours now. The first time was a yellow/watery liquid. the second time it was more yellow mucus, then a few more times, then a bright orange color. she's also pacing and whimpering and licking her chops

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No, she didn't really eat anything today. last night she had her normal food. our other dog has had watery stools for the past 4 days, but no vomitting. could they be related or total coincidence?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Penny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penny?

Thats all. She's a 3 year old Beagle Mix, up to date on shots, and fixed.

3/7/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Any chance she got into something?

Paul

Hi Dr. Brazzell, I don't believe she has. She's closely monitored throughout the day, eats her normal food. Our other dog has had watery-mucus yellow diarrhea for the past 4 days, but no vomitting. Not sure if they are related

Okay thanks

I wonder if this is just acute gastritis (fingers crossed)

Lets NOT give any food for rest of today

Give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times daily

You can offer water and pedialyte in small amounts

Okay?

Paul

Ok great. She hasn't had any loose stools, her stool this morning was normal, which I suppose is a good sign, right? I'll be sure to not give food for the rest of the day.
Thanks

Very welcome

Please update me in an hour or two

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open so you will not incur more costs :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Great - I will update you in a while. Just a silly question - dog gastritis can't be transferred to humans, right?

Correct

Ok - I am giving her a 75mg pill of Zantac right now. Thanks for your help!

NO no

Give 1.0 mg/kg Zantac

75.0 is too high

Ok, she's 40 lbs, and I cut the 150 tablet in half, but gave her the smaller half.

You should be giving 1/3 of a 75 mg tablet or 1/6 of a 150 mg tablet

Ok, I already gave her the dose, and she vomitted one more time, but it was only a small amount (size of a quarter). She is still whimpering and pacing.

Do you think she vomited up the Zantac?

If so then we should re-dose with smaller amount

If not then lets hope it kicks in

Paul

There was no pill in the vomit, so I don't believe she brought it up - hopefully it kicks in.

10-4