Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ive never cut my dogs nails before and good thing I only…

Ive never cut my...

Ive never cut my dogs nails before and good thing I only clipped one. didn't know what I was doing and Ive stopped the bleeding.. just wonder if I should have a vet check it out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No but it does reopen when he licks it... so I put sock over it for now.. so he wont lick it..

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Blue! Lots of treats today.. uggh!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blue?

He is 1 year 5 months.. Ive sat with him all morning

3/7/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does he seem uncomfortable with the foot? How did you stop the bleeding?

I first used tissue and held it on for 5 minutes.. He is still playful and in a good mood! I then had a sock on so he wont lick it

Okay thanks for the additional information. Does he have dark nails? It can be a challenge to cut some dog's nails especially if they are dark. If you have cornstarch youcan try to apply it to the cut nail. That sometimes can help stop the bleeding quicker and keep the sock on for about an hour or so. If it continues to bleed then I would recommend that you see your veterinarian and they will be able to apply a product called silver nitrate that can help stop the bleeding as well.

Ok Thanks!

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian