Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Have a Westie with "Westie Lung Syndrome" Working some

Have a Westie with...

Have a Westie with "Westie Lung Syndrome" Working some issues for heart medicine, etc but looking for something to sooth coughing without using an opiate based drug?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is Pinky. She is 12 and 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pinky?

She has some allergies that she gets shots for.

3/7/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Pinky has been coughing and you are looking fora medication that is not an opioid type. Is that a correct summary of your question?

She has been diagnosed with "Westie Lung Syndrome" and I am looking for something to deal with the coughing without having to use an opiod.

Probably the best thing to work with would be an ingredient called dextromethorphan. This is the ingredient in Robitussin and can occasionally be effective. I would also recommend to use some other modalities that can be helpful such as a nebulizer or humidifier and periodically coupaging the chest. Coupage is performed by gently (but firmly) hitting the chest walls with the palm of your hand for 30-60 seconds 2-3 times daily to help break up the mucus in the lower airway. These things could all help when used together.

Does that help to answer your question?

that is helpful. We will give that a try. Thanks for your help

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian