Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

First of all. Are you realy free. I just tried a free site…

First of all. Are...

First of all. Are you realy free. I just tried a free site and was to pay R450 !

Veterinarian's Assistant: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Its a sheepdog. We live on a farm and have no vet within 200km. 5 year old Stof was fine on Friday. Friday evening he was running after my husband when suddenly he gave a yelp. He seemed fine after that. Shortly after my husband gave him his food and he wouldnt eat. I sugested he was bitten by a snake or scorpion. He just lay there and we thought he was dying. Later that night my husband went to look and he was ok. Next morning found that he had eaten. He was just very listless, wich he still is. He does eat some of his food and his nose is dry. I dont know his weight, probably about 13 - 15 kg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

There is no poison he can get to. I think something happened when he was in the garage with my husband

3/7/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

This site is not free

You will end up spending 28.00 IF you like my answer :)

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I paid and and explained the problem with my dog, Stof. I m waiting for an answer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do i have to pay another R370 to get an answer?

Okay great

Give me a minute :)

Paul

Okay- this is a tough one

My initial thoughts were musculoskeletal injury or insect/snake bite

Both could have caused him to lie there and be reluctant to eat

Either way I am not too panicked just yet

Do you have any aspirin there?
Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Stof doesnt walk cripple. But his eyes are very watery and the white of his eyes tat is usualy red is now very white. He wlks with us but wont run. Seems tired and eats very little, where as he usualy has a good appetite

Are his gums pale?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just remember, 5 days ago he was fine until that yelp, when he suddenly got ill.

Yes

I am worried about the gum color. If they are pale then he is anemic and needs to be examined

I know it is very late there but he needs to be seen first thing in the AM then

Sorry about this

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could he become anemic all of a sudden? Why would tears be running down his face? Taking him to a vet is a major thing here, as its not only expensive, but far and difficult. We have sheep medicine. Antibiotics, vit A & E and multi vit and minerals. Is there nothing we can try first.

There may be two problems

Anemia and trauma/bite

None of those things listed is necessarily going to help :(

The ocular discharge I am not not sure about

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you feel it necessary we take him tomorrow if he is still alive. How much disprin can I give him and what for?

Agreed

Yes give Aspirin at 10.0 mg/pound now and then in AM

Good luck and please update me in the AM your time

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do. Thanks for your help. Was hoping to spare us a visit. But this dog is very precious to us.

Very welcome

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for updates

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will let you know tomorrow S A time. Will however be out of signal by the time you get my answer, as there is no signal on the farm and Im going back there tomorrow.

Thanks!

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian