Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Only: Would CBD oil be OK for the following dogs? And if so,

For Michael Salkin Only:Would CBD...
For Michael Salkin Only:Would CBD oil be OK for the following dogs? And if so, how much to give? I will be pet-sitting them while my aunt is away for an extended time. We are concerned about anxiety making their issues worse. We also hope that it could be a helpful, but are concerned about interactions or impact on other health issues.Minnie the Pekingese: She's very old, about 14, has bad arthritis, chronic bronchitis, and COPD. My aunt also said that her "liver values are off" consistently. She takes Theophylline liquid .75mg 2xday. She tends to be anxious and has a hard time with separation. She's deaf and blind. And she can get seizures. We worry about stress making another one moFred is a cockapoo 30 pounds, 10 years old, is a rescue dog with a terrible trauma history. He has PTSD and can act out when he's stressed or there are changes. When he's triggered (as he might be with owner leaving and changes), he is more likely to bite or act out. He is actually a sweet soul and I am understanding of his issues, but thought perhaps giving him something that could be calming would help during this time.
3/7/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hi Maureen...CBD oil appears to be safe in most any medical condition but I must admit that we don't have much of a history with this oil. Future research and experience will give us more information on dosing levels and intervals. Curent recommendations for oral dosing of CBD in dogs are 0.02 - 0.1 mg/kg (0.01 mg/lb - 0.05 mg/lb) given twice daily. For pain management most dogs do well at 0.025 mg/kg (00.125 mg/lb twice daily. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, thank you so much for your response and generous invitation to contact with further questions. I forwarded your response to my aunt. There is a chance she will have a question. I hope I will hear back from her by tomorrow. I just wanted to let you know I did not forget. I do intend to give a 5-star rating, have always been appreciative of your advice and helpfulness.

You're quite welcome. I'll watch for your next post. Thank you for your kind words.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks like you are unable to give clarity on how much to try based on size of dog, and that we would just need to experiment? I understand that may be the case, please just confirm. That's my only follow up question.

As mentioned above, "Curent recommendations for oral dosing of CBD in dogs are 0.02 - 0.1 mg/kg (0.01 mg/lb - 0.05 mg/lb) given twice daily. For pain management most dogs do well at 0.025 mg/kg (00.125 mg/lb twice daily." A 30 lb Fred, then, could receive 3.75 mg twice daily.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Maureen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Minnie. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian