Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has lost partical sight. Her right side is weak. She…

Customer Question
My dog has lost...

My dog has lost partical sight. Her right side is weak. She falls down when she bumps into something. Took her to the vet. He does not think she had a stroke. She turns to the left and walks in big circles. Doc has her on Doxycylcline 400mg and prednisone 20 mg. Blood work didn't show anything except enlarged white blood cells. What do you think?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is***** is a boxer mix. Age is ten

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bellstar?

She does not seem to be in pain.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 3 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. This does sound concerning. The big circles suggests she has a primary cerebral (brain lesion). Probably the only way to confirm is for her to get an MRI with a neurologist, though.

Certainly not wrong to try an antibiotic in case of infection, but I would be very concerned about a brain tumor or possibly acute brain bleed (which is similar to a stroke).

What do you recommend doing? I can not afford a lot of expenses. If it is a brain tumor, what can be done? How much does it cost?

If this was a tumor, there really is not much you can do. That is why it MRI is not commonly done. No medicines work well, although it is very reasonable to try prednisone which you are already trying. Surgery is not a realistic option. If she developed seizures, then we can also help this. Overall it is about keeping her comfortable and constantly assessing her quality of life. One of the toughest parts of this is that some of these guys develops pretty severe dementia and seem "out of it" a lot of the time.

IF by some miracle this is infection, then doxycycline is a good choice. If you live in an area where there are frequent fungal infections then you can ask your vet if screening for one of those may be a reasonable thing to do. They are potentially treatable although tougher to treat when they affect the brain.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

**If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating. Thanks.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified