Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 year old husky / pit mix who is having seizures.

Customer Question
I have a 13...

I have a 13 year old husky / pit mix who is having seizures . I have gave him Xanax of my own during anxiety attacks . Pacing the floor etc . But seizure is getting worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the Husky's name?

Ryder

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ryder?

He has never been aggressive except he hates police , dog pound and meals on wheels , because they look like dog pound . He is big about 100 lbs .I'm worried sick

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
This started2 years ago but the seizure are not but about once a month or less . I have had him since he was 6 weeks old . He is losing his vision and hearing
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ryder. Can you describe what you're seeing which you're describing as seizures, please? I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Thank you

You're welcome. Are you asking for me to opt out of this conversation?

No I am not he falls and starts having seizures or convulsions lasting about a minute last night he had 3 his legs move uncontrollable and he can't raise his head I usually try to comfort him until it's over and the help him back to his feet continuing to pet him . His breathing remains heavy for about 10 min.

Thank you for the additional information. You appear to be describing a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. If consciousness is lost a general seizure (previously called gran mal) is diagnosed. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for this events and for just what you witnessed. Ryder's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if he should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Ryder suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one (which appears to be the case) clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you may I ask if Xanax would help with these . I am prescribed them and have given him a half of a 1 mg . If he is acting to anxious.

While alprazolam may be useful for adjunctive therapy in anxious or aggressive dogs, it's not considered a first-choice drug when addressing seizures. A more potent anticonvulsant should be considered such as levetriacetam or zonisamide. Alprazolam (Xanax) is usually dosed at 0.01 - 0.025 mg per pound of body weight every 6-12 hours as needed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you he isn't at all aggressive just old and when grandkids come he prefers outside , when 2 years ago he preferred being inside with small children climbing on him and playing with their toys or laying in the middle of the bed watching TV with family
What can I do to just keep him comfortable I know I won't have my big guy forever . He also may be considered slightly overweight .

Yes, our senior dogs may become less tolerant as they age. Reclusing himself isn't unusual but seizure activity needs to be addressed with anticonvulsant drugs lest his seizures become life-threatening.

Thank you for your help but I better save my 28 dollars to take him to a vet here . He probably needs meds instead of on a phone call unless you can prescribe meds for his seizures or give me advice on a natural way to stop them

I understand. Don't worry about the phone call. My state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue. I'm a died-in-the-wool allopath and so I'll opt out which will allow a naturopathic expert to enter this conversation for you. We're not allowed to prescribe through this venue.

Thanks for your help sir