Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My st.bernard has a dry chapped nose. I was wondering what…

Hi, my st.bernard has...

Hi, my st.bernard has a dry chapped nose. I was wondering what the best treatment is

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

A St. Bernard dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

His nose is very chapped

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Is this automated or am I talking with a person?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Yes, the chapped nose

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Kyra, 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kyra?

I don’t think so

3/7/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. The treatment I typically recommend that is over the counter is to apply Vaseline to the chapped nose once a day. There are a few possible causes of having a chapped nose, I some dogs will simply get this because they pant excessively, however there are also autoimmune disorders that can cause this. It is impossible to say for sure without a biopsy. I would recommend taking her in for an exam and possibly a biopsy to see if more specific treatment is needed for a possible autoimmune disorder, but in the meantime, Vaseline is a good place to start.

Poor girl, yes I am able to see this. It is true, cold/dry weather definitely plays a role in this as well. The treatment to start is still the same. You can try the Vaseline once a day for a few weeks and see how it goes as (hopefully) the weather improves. If this clears things up, the great! And if not, then I would take her in to the vet. Alternatively, if it gets worse in spite of the Vaseline, I would take her in to the vet regardless.

Thank you! We will try the Vaseline and see if there are any improvement and take her to her vet if not

Sounds good! Best of luck to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt