Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 year old boxer ingested 2 women's vitamins about 30…

My 10 year old...

My 10 year old boxer ingested 2 women's vitamins about 30 minutes ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Boxer will be able to digest that. What is the Boxer's name?

Maximus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maximus?

Not at this point

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Can you send me a link to the specific Vitamin that he ate the two of? Does he have any known health issues or is on any specific medications?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Main Concern, each pill is 400 IU. Also includes:
Folic Acid
Biotin
Vitamins
Calcium
Magnesium
Zinc
Lutein
Natural Herbs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://vimerson.com/products/women-s-multivitamin

Is the 400 IU Vitamin D?

How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
80 lb boxer, he takes other supplements as he suffers from degenerative mylo and his back legs have mostly become unusable.

Alright. For a girl her size to eat 2 of those multivitamin's with those ingredients, it isn't something that needs any treatment. That amount of Vitamin D isn't close to a dangerous dose. This shouldn't cause any problems with her current degenerative myopathy or with any of her other supplements. She should be fine from this.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

Absolutely no problem. To give you the math behind this - One international unit is equivalent to 0.00002 mg of cholecalciferol; therefore it takes 40,000 IU to equal 1 mg of cholecalciferol. Ingestion of multivitamins is not generally expected to pose a risk of toxicosis unless a very small dog ingests a very large number of vitamins. Current recommendations of animal poison control centers is to initiate decontamination when cholecalciferol dosages exceed 0.1 mg/kg. The dose she got was 0.00044 mg/kg.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian