Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I spend several months of the year in Turkey, three and a…

Customer Question
Hi I spend several...

Hi I spend several months of the year in Turkey, three and a half weeks ago I rescued a small two year old dog from a shelter. She was there 4 nights. Distemper is rife in the place. She has been unwell since I took her and has had several visits to the local vet. Initially she was on a drip for 90 mins to rehydrate her and was fed intravenous antibiotics. She responded quite well and became playful, ate each day, although only spasmodically. However after having her for two weeks she presented with the symptoms of canine distemper. She is up and down, sleeps lots, wants to play sometime during each day with my other 2 vaccinated dogs. Eats but only small amounts when she feels like it. Has an on off but persistent cough and blood stained mucous is in her nose, sometimes in the mornings. She has just finished a course of antibiotics and immune system boosting injections given daily by myself. I am concerned as to if the antibiotic will prevent her getting more secondary infections and how possible is her getting pneumonia?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

You have all the details

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. To answer you directly, systemic broad spectrum antibiotics such as ampicillin are indicated but we can't know if any one particular antibiotic will suffice. The choice of antibiotic is best determined by bacterial culture and sensitivity of the oropharynx. Antibiotics may or may not prevent more secondary infection. That would be predicated upon the virulence and how immunocompromising her strain of distemper is. Yes, secondary bacterial pneumonia is relatively common in these dogs and best confirmed by X-rays of the thorax (chest). In general clinical signs of bacterial infections are usually severe yet studies indicate that they don't increase mortality. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian