Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Salkin So this is a question about urinary inconsistency. On…

Michael SalkinSo this is a...
Michael SalkinSo this is a question about urinary inconsistency. On Monday night, I took simon out at 5pm EST for his daily walk. At 8:30pm after his dinner and him chewing on a chew on his blanket, I noticed a wet patch. And dribbling of urine drops on the floor. I’ve never seen this before. I checked his prepuce and the hair around it was slightly damp so it must’ve been him dripping urine. I immediately took him out and urinated 4 times over the span of 15-20 minutes. He was fine when he got home.Tuesday morning I decided to go and monitor this again to see if his blanket was wet after chewing without going to the bathroom overnight. No sign of dripping or wetting or anything.Tuesday afternoon still no sign of dripping or wetting or anything even after not being able to go out to urinate all day as he normally is accustomed to. I decided to check his prepuce and found these photos. https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0rGKptCwJsdH7s
The prepuce is slightly damp with a drip or two on it and surrounding hair.
The rest of the evening showed no signs of dripping or wetting.This morning just now I woke up and tried to monitor if there was any sign of dripping/wetting and found nothing. His prepuce however, was again damp with a few droplets of urine. https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0rGoYbZUGkNH41Question: is it normal for his prepuce to have drops of urine on it after a night of not urinating? Monday evenings urine dripping and wetting I haven’t been able to reproduce and don’t know how it happened. He has had urine dripping once I noticed when he was 3 years old when he had to go out to pee badly. But never since then. Additionally, back when he had his testicles intact, I would always notice his prepuce damp with either drips of urine or smegma. However I haven’t checked his prepuce in that manner since.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

A small amount of yellow-white smegma is normal at the preputial opening of male dogs of any age or neuter status but you shouldn't be seeing urine in a normal dog. I would have a complete urinalysis performed when he's examined next. Urinary incontinence due to urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence isn't as common in males as it is in females but does occur. We mainly need to rule out a urinary tract infection

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It hasn’t occurred since but a tiny bit of urine on the prepuce isn’t normal ? Especially when he hasn’t been out all day?

No, it isn't normal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is likely causing this?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It literally just started happening but the dripping and wet was only a one time occurrence and hasn’t been seen since Monday

Please see my post timestamped 7:13 AM ( my time).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
UTI?

Urethral incompetence or UTI

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would urethral incompetence happen all of a sudden?

Yes, and may come and go.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He just got groomed. Update of prepuce. https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0r5Sbz8bVFQsLSo is any of this a concern? I will have a urinalysis performed in the next few days.

I don't see anything of concern in those last photos.

I don't know yet. Let's see what a complete urinalysis shows.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nothing of concern in those last photos which doesn’t show any urine? Isn’t that a good thing?

Remember, incontinence can come and go.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
at what point could we call it incontinence? If he doesn’t have a UTI? Is one leak enough to categorize this as urine incontinence?

One leak can be due to incontinence but it wouldn't be treated unless episodes of incontinence persisted. No, incontinence doesn't need to be associated with infection as mentioned above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if he doesn’t leak again, then isn’t this of no concern?

Correct.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is leaking to you? His prepuce is always moist. It has to be right? Otherwise it would dry up.

The area staying moist and/or leaving a puddle of urine where he's been.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wait so his prepuce should be dry? His prepuce has always been moist all his life?!

As posted above, a small amount of yellow-white smegma is normal at the preputial opening of male dogs of any age or neuter status but you shouldn't be seeing urine in a normal dog.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I tell if the moist is due to smegma or urine? When the prepuce is moist it’s just a film that glistens - how do you tell what that is due to?

Smegma is colored and cloudy. Urine should be clear.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I’ve shown you is colored (yellow) or creamy. I remember simons smegma before his neuter as a thick viscous substance. The cloudy liquid that I found on simon Tuesday evening is not sticky or thick but cloudy. Is this smegma?

Most likely, yes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what I’ve shown you thus far in photos and video.all of these are smegma?

I can't know that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But does the consistency of smegma change after a neuter? I know what smegma feels like and it used to be very very thick . This is the reason I am asking because I can’t tell if what is on Simons prepuce is smegma or not. All I know is that it is not thick or viscous but colored. at the end of the day, if there isn’t dripping or wet spots involved - with ONLY his prepuce just moist, is that of any concern?

It does, yes, as neutering reduces secretion from the glands inside the prepuce. To determine if there's reason for concern, his vet needs to reflect Simon's prepuce back and examine as much of the preputial vault as possible + perform a complete urinalysis.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you mean peel his prepuce back to view his penis like I do with you every 2 weeks?

Yes, but much farther.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s highly unlikely that the vet will be able to do so on him further than what I can. Can I try tonight and see how much I can peel back?

Certainly.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Going to continue this convo in the other thread. Will close this off.

TY!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian