Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, mostly St, Bernard has extremely red eyes with

Customer Question
My dog, mostly St...

My dog, mostly St, Bernard has extremely red eyes with covering and is pawing at his eyes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

The has , I believe, an eye infection. Very red and uncomfortable

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Cooper, will be five in April and is mostly St. Bernard

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Cooper?

Just answered. He will be five in April

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?

NO, he is healthy and happy and wonderful, 98 pounds of fur!

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 1 month ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

How long has he had this?

Did you try rinsing the eye with a sterile saline solution?

Does he have any allergies?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I noticed his eyes yesterday and much more this morning. I haven’t tried any rinses and don’t know if I should buy one
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has skin allergies for which he takes aquapel

I might try an eye rinse to see if there is anything in the eyes causing irritation. Aside from that there is not much you can do at home when it comes to the eyes. Eye problems need to be tended to correctly with specific drops from a Veterinarian.

This breed is prone to ectropion and entropion which is a problem with the eye lashes that can cause problems in the eyes. They are also prone to cherry eye, so you want to be very careful as to what you might be dealing with.

here is a link to prone ailments and if you click on the ailments a page will open and tell you what to watch for.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/breeds/choosing-a-saint-bernard/2/

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant