DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 10 years experience
101555041

He’s scooching his on the ground, I don’t know how to

Customer Question

He’s scooching his butt on the ground, I don’t know how to describe the rest, in a seated position he goes back and forth and snaps at the air. He will calm down if you scratch him. He also has a hot spot on his leg from licking it. The hot spot happened before, we took him in and they said flea allergy. We had just gone camping. Doctor said flea allergy, even though he’s on pills for that it doesn’t kill the fleas unless they bite him. Then we moved, happened again and doctor said maybe red dye allergy. We quit giving him anything with red dye. Now it’s happening again and I don’t know what to do. He’s an Australian cattle dog, 4 years old. We’ve had him for 3 years, got him from a shelter.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Reno.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reno?
Customer: He seems ok otherwise. This behavior comes and goes. It will happen, he’ll get better then it happens again
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrSarah replied 8 months ago.

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

Expert:  DrSarah replied 8 months ago.

Aww, itchy butt is frustrating! As far as the scooting, that sounds like Reno's anal glads are full. Those are sacs of stinky fluid on either side of their rear that should empty when they poop, but sometimes they can get clogged. That's when you see dogs start to scoot their butt as it's irritating. Once you get close to a vet's office I'd get his anal glands emptied. As far as the fleas, keep up on the medicine...I know it's frustrating. It takes a good 2-3 months to get them under control. I really love Bravecto as it last 3 months. Make sure to vacuum everything in the house often. He may need a short course of steroid to cut the itch.

Expert:  DrSarah replied 8 months ago.

Hope he feels better soon. Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Expert:  DrSarah replied 8 months ago.

How's Reno doing?