Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 year old golden mix. He is standing up all night…

Customer Question
I have a 13...

I have a 13 year old golden mix. He is standing up all night and not sleeping to the point he is falling down during the night but then gets right back up and stands again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Golden. What is the Golden's name?

Dale

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dale?

No, he is otherwise healthy, he eats good, drinks plenty of water goes outside during the day and plays around then comes back in and lounges around

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 month ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience. I'm sorry no expert has jumped in to answer your query. This is truly a tough question.

Why is Dale refusing to lie down to sleep? My top suspicion would be that he is painful when he lies down (joints, back, organ?). If we know his joints and back are comfortable, perhaps he has gall bladder pain or something else is bothering him. If not done recently, I recommend you have your veterinarian do a complete physical exam and some lab work (to screen the gall bladder in particular and pancreas) to look for possible issues that could cause pain. I have often seen dogs with polyarthritis (joint inflammation) or meningitis (pain in the spine) or gall bladder pain that are exhibiting this behavior.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He does not seem to be in any pain whatsoever so that’s not it. I just paid 20.00 for you to tell me to take him to the vet? I am looking for ways to help him sleep. He visited the vet a week ago and I was told he is healthy and looks great for his age

You are certainly welcome to try Benadryl at bedtime. IT helps some dogs settle at 1 mg per pound rounding up to the nearest 25mg. Otherwise, feeding him a small meal at bedtime may also help him settle.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified