Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs name is Kenai he is a lab/pit cross and he is just…

My dogs name is *****...
My dogs name is ***** ***** is a lab/pit cross and he is just turning 2 years old this. He started about a week ago having Seizures, fly bitting, weak right side, very lathargic, very attached to owner, abnormal breathing, loss in things he enjoyed, Started rubbing his right eye, rubbing his right side along surfaces, lays on any surface which isn’t normal because he has to be laying on something soft usually, and he’s been shaking his ears. Please help.
3/7/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Kenai has been having seizures and is also rubbing his eye and right side of his body on surfaces. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. You also mentioned he is acting lethargic, breathing abnormal, and lost interest in things he enjoyed. Is this occurring when he is having the seizure or just in general?

In general his behavior has changed.

Thank you. I am actually wanting to know if this behavior change is happening only when he is having the seizures?

His behavior is more abnormal during the day and he has seizures at night.

Thank you for that information. It sounds like he is having an excessive amount of seizures that need to be controlled. The general guideline is that medication should be given if more than one seizure happens per month or more than 3 per year. There are a few different causes for seizures, which may be impacting his overall behavior. For instance, idiopathic epilepsy is common in dogs of this age and usually occur less than 5 years old. Infections and metabolic diseases can also cause seizures. It would be a good idea to see a veterinarian for some diagnostic tests, or at the very least, for a medication to stop the seizures. Phenobarbital is a medication that is commonly given and would be useful.

The issue with rubbing the right eye and his right side is not likely related to the seizures. This could be caused by allergies or something else that is causing itching. Rubbing and itching are most common features of allergies, so that would be the best rule out at this point. Treatment with an antihistamine such as Benadryl would be helpful. If that fails to work then a prescription called Apoquel is most often helpful.

Does that help to answer your question?

Okay thank you. I got told by my vet that the sound of his symptoms sound like a brain tumor. Is that a strong possibility? Because he’s always been a little odd and I just thought he might be a little mentally impaired.

A tumor is a possibility, but is less common at this age because he is so young so I would not expect that to be a strong possibility. Idiopathic epilepsy is far more common as well as granulomatous meningioencephalitis, which is an inflammatory reaction. A MRI would be the most beneficial test to do because that would rule out a tumor as well as look at other possible causes of seizures.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian