Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Olly is 9 yrs old a diabetic insulin dependent Moodle. He is…

Customer Question
Olly is 9 yrs...

Olly is 9 yrs old a diabetic insulin dependent Moodle. He is in good health really but has lots of episodes of itchy skin he has been treated with prescribed medication and neocortex ointment applied externally. This itch drives him mad and I feel useless in helping him. What can I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog. A Moodle (poodle Schitzu Maltese cross)

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'm sorry Olly has that. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Olly?

Oh yes he has cataracts and is blind.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Olly has a history of itchy skin. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Can you please tell me what parts of the body in particular appear to be most itchy if any (i.e. feet, tail, abdomen, arm pits, etc.)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Today tail rump area but has been feet

One of the ways we identify the causes of itching is based on the location of the body that is most itchy. For instance, excessive chewing of the feet is characteristic of environmental allergies. Chewing of the tail base area is common of a flea bite hypersensitivity. This area is called the flea triangle because flea bites are so common there. If he is not already on a flea prevention, it would be a very good idea to put him on one to resolve any flea issue on the body. However, even dogs that are on a flea prevention can experience itching in this area if there are fleas in the environment. A flea prevention does not stop a flea from biting, but it kills it when it does. The next step is to make sure the inside of the house is thoroughly vacuumed, especially concentrating on rugs and carpeted areas. Make sure to get between cushions on furniture and underneath furniture. Bedding that she sleeps on should be washed as well. The outside environment is more difficult to control - besides spraying the area and staying away from grass, there is nothing much else that can be done. One thing for sure is that this is not a complication of diabetes and is a separate issue altogether.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. How is Olly doing?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian