Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My shadow just had 6 puppies. Well... there were 8. We lost…

My shadow just had...

My shadow just had 6 puppies. Well... there were 8. We lost 2 in the birthing process.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the puppy?

But one of the puppies is having particularly yellow and soft mushy poo compared to the rest and is coincidentally the smallest

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Shadow is the dam. We haven't yet names the puppies as they are only 2 days old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shadow?

She's still panting and consuming loads of water

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm afraid she is not being tentative enough. Only being that the puppy in question has matted and dried poo on his/ butt and tail. I'm just concerned. And don't know if it's just me being over worried about nothing, or if Shadow and this puppy need help. And not only that, I have NO idea what kind of cost would accompany that attention. And I'm not wealthy. My shadow got pregnant on her second heat and these are her first pups.
3/7/2018
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Sometimes a mother won't clean a pup's rectal area well enough and will need a little help. You should take some warm water on a wash cloth and gently clean the rectum. If it is very difficult, you can use a little mineral oil to help it slide off the hair in the area. You should check all the pups regularly to ensure that mom is able to keep them clean.

As to your girls extreme thirst, this is pretty normal as she has to supply not only her own fluid needs (one cup for every 8 pounds of body weight) but also the needs of her puppies by supplying them breast milk.

Here are some things you should look for post delivery. If your dog has intense abdominal pain, pale gums and tongue, sudden drop in temperature or collapse she needs to be seen as soon as possible as she may have uterine torsion.

If your dog has a Green, smelly discharge from her vulva, fever, loss of appetite and listlessness, it is possible she has a uterine infection due to bacteria or a retained placenta and needs to be seen immediately. It is likely she has metritis which is a uterine infection.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/metritis-in-dogs/

If your dog is experiences muscle weakness, muscle spasms, tremors or seizures, limb paralyses, she needs to be seen now as it is possible she has eclampsia. Calcium supplements, Tums, cottage cheese or goat’s milk may help, but it might not reverse the symptoms quickly enough.

Here is a site with more information on this.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/eclampsia-in-dogs/

Look for breast infections on a regular basis. If a breast becomes inflamed, red and hard to the touch, your dog will need to be seen by your vet.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

jadedangel57
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much! I've been so very nervous! I will begin assisting momma in cleaning and helping with poo/pee. I can't even express what your words of wisdom mean to me! I've been so scared of losing her through this! She has her energy back for the majority, and is using the restroom regularly herself, had not noticed any discharge from her vulva. I will be keeping a close eye for any of these symptoms. I have calcium chews in the mail to be arriving today. I have been providing her foods that are high in protein and trying to find healthy calcium assistance until the chews arrive. The pups are gaining weight steadily so far. She just seems overwhelmed. And sore. I can tell that her teets are becoming sensitive as the babies tend to fall asleep latched and continue to suckle. If there is any more advice you could afford to me, I would be ever grateful to you. These are the first puppies I've ever assisted with! I know that spaying would have been the way to prevent all this, I have been shamed, but she deserves the right to motherhood. Just like you or myself. Anyways, again, any advice you can help me with will be much appreciated. Thank you, Ma'am. Have a wonderful day!

Be careful of adding too much calcium to her diet. Generally if you feed a good puppy food to your girl, she should have enough calcium for the pups as well. Now I usually will give a treat 2 or 3 times a week if I supplement at all. Now she will have some discharge but it won't be smelly and will quickly fade to a light pink, then tan over a couple of weeks. Congratulations on your pups. I currently have 6 week old pups, 2 week old pups and another litter due in the next week or so.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any particular brand of puppy food that you might suggest to look for? As is ones that may be better for her digestion? I know some puppy foods can be harder on them
She hasn't been interested in her Dog Chow at all in the last days since the babies arrived. Not certain if she knows that it's not enough for her or if she can't eat it for some reason.

I tend to go with a high quality puppy food such as Innova large breed Puppy food but Purina One is another one that I have used as well. Right now her system needs the extra nutrients from the puppy food. When they are not pregnant or nursing, those extra nutrients can cause some issues. Only use large breed puppy food if she is a larger breed. Puppy foods also smell a lot better to dogs and they are more likely to eat it. The first day a dog is often full of placentas but by day 3 they usually get their appetite back completely.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you so much. I felt her over and she has a lump between 2 teets close to her rib cage. E only part. That concerns me is the sgape of it. Feels very firm and rounded. Terrified she's got a still born in there. I'm so scared but she has an appointment at the animal hospital in less than an hour. I'm not taking any chances. We can't lose our baby girl. Specially not now that she has babies. I can't tell you how grateful I am for you. Thank you so much!

You are very welcome. Usually if a pup is retained a dog does not take care of her pups and does not eat, etc. Let me know what your vet says anyway.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ma'am I will. I'm hoping I've caught whatever it is in time to save her and the babies. You've been absolutely amazing though. I will let you know the outcome of our visit. About to head home to pick her up right now.

Great. I'll be around.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just got her home. She has a slight case of mastitis but it's not anything he was concerned about since all teets are still yielding milk. He also informed me of the lesser encouraging part. If she's consistently rejecting or ignoring a certain pup it's because she can tell there's something seriously wrong with it and will not "waste her energy on a low probability pup". Yeah. I'm just very drained and sensitive about the entire ordeal. My husband is exhausted and just doesn't want to give any more effort to it. I say that I'm not giving up on any of them. If I have to feed and clean a puppy or two, I can do that.

When people bring pups in, vets often think in terms of what is best for all the pups versus the one. Moms will often push away a sick or failing pup so that the resources she has (milk) and care do go to the pups with the highest chance of survival. However, when humans intervene and work to keep those, as the vet called the pup, low probability pups warm with a heating pad or try and keep them snuggled up to mom. And when we make sure they always get to nurse first and are not pushed away from mom or even bottle feed a pup like this and work to ensure he is kept clean, it gives these pups a chance to survive that they might not otherwise have.

I have bottle fed pups when the mom didn't get milk in and that is trying to feed a whole litter of pups every 2-3 hours and then giving them back to mom to keep clean and keep them warm. It also entailed keeping the smaller pups that were at risk on heating pads for the most part to ensure they didn't get pushed away by stronger pups and become chilled. Human intervention helps save these pups. It doesn't mean the pup has anything really wrong with it, but might just mean that it is the weakest one in the litter. It may not make it, but you can give it a chance or at least that is the way I look at it. I have had my heart broken losing a pup I have hand fed or cared for but when one survives, it does make them that much more special to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just wanted to let you know that, that is to tour advice and the guidance of the vet, Shadow and all 6 babies are doing very well. Shadow has settled into being a mommy, cleaning and feeding in her own little 3 at a time rotation. She still need a help keeping them together at times, they wiggle really well and get around surprisingly well for 1 week old pups. Even the littlest one that I was concerned for has made a huge turn around. I'm so proud of Shadow. She's kept her babies clean and full on her own since they were 3 days old, when I ultimately stepped back and let her do her thing. I realize that I was being entirely too involved. She's doing just fine on how own. Well, with an added calcium supplement and puppy food (we've been adding wet food to the puppy food to help hide the calcium. Turns out it wasn't chews at all. Haha in fact it's a powder that gets mixed in.Anywho, I just wanted to let you know that you really made a difference for me. Not only to help calm the anxiety but also in telling me what to look for. Thank you so much for your wisdom and understanding. I couldn't have been here for her without your help. It means the world to me because she means the world to me.

Loot at those little sweeties. They look very happy. They are definitely warm enough or they wouldn't spread out like that. When a little chilly they tend to bunch up more. I'm glad I was able to help you so much. Thank you for the excellent rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have one more question, if that is okay? At what age should I be able to help mommy with bathing the puppies? They seem to be taking turns with having runny poo and it is getting on their siblings. Mommy isn't too much worried about their backs as she is about making them pee and poo. I would like to wash the poop off of them but don't want t9 be handling them too soon or make them smell or taste like something that Shadow won't respond to. I have Dawn and Dawn ultra escapes "Malibu Sunrise" it is scented but not overwhelming. I can also purchase some of the dawn with moisturiser, the ones meant to keep skin healthy? Or should I go for one of the more specified puppy shampoos? I just don't want to hurt them but seeing flies in their little area hurts my heart. I'd, again, seriously appreciate any guidance you can give.

You can definitely help with baby wipes to clean them but they should not have baths until they are 3 weeks old and can regulate their own body temperature. They can become chilled and develop upper respiratory illnesses if they catch a chill. So you still have another 11 days I think. At that time you can use some regular dawn dish washing soap. You can handle them and should so they are used to people. My granddaughter holds them minutes after they are born and daily until they are too large for her to pick up and she is 3 years old.

Baby wipes work pretty good to get feces off and the harder patches can usually be loosened with some mineral oil to help. Keeping the blanket or other floor covering cleaned helps a lot as well. You seem to have that under control. Those pups are huge. Poor momma. Remember at three weeks to start offering puppy food soaked in milk replacer or water until it crumbles to start the weaning process. She usually will stop cleaning up their feces once they are being weaned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just an update! Their eyes are opening!! I did a little research last night and by the average statistics they're right on time! They've been gaining weight very well and have started to pick themselves up on their feet to move around. Momma is learning that she doesn't have to stay on top of them all the time, although there are times when I have to encourage her to get in there with them when only 1 or 2 are awake and hungry seeing as how it's been much easier for her to feed them by 2's and 3's. I've had to supplement with calcium because they will drain her after the first set of 3 if she hasn't had some with a few hours of feeding. But all in all, after finding the balance and routine, things are going well. Shadow is still consuming a lot of water and I make sure to have bowls of fresh water for her throughout the house. We've been getting in there with them and kind of spending a few minutes with each of them to begin making sure they're socialized. I went and purchased a large bag of Purina Puppy Chow and have been keeping a close eye on how much milk momma can yield in case we have to start offering food sooner ( I say that because of how big they are getting and how often they are hungry looking for momma). I have a can of Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer and wanted to check with you to make sure that mixing the 2 for the babies, when the time comes, would be okay. I'm not trying to offer any alternatives for another at least 4 or 5 days but I also don't want to let any of them get less milk or nourishment than the others. On a side note, momma has been eating the puppy food most regularly but she has started snacking on her adult Dow Chow again. The only other question I have is an odd one quite honestly, what...form... should the puppy poo be at this point? I'm having to clean up bits if runny poo with little white...bead type things in it. Completely honest, it looks like my son's poop when he was still breast feeding. I just want to make sure that runny poop isn't a bad sign. It's not all completely runny. Just some of it. Probably 2/3 poos are runny.

Those are huge pups. They are almost 2 weeks old, so those tiny white bead things might be fat in the stool or worms. You can deworm them the first time at 2 weeks of age with an over the counter wormer that usually takes care of things like roundworms. Over the counter dewormers are ok at this point. You will do it every 2 weeks until they go to new homes.

The feces at this point is often runny especially if they haven't been dewormed. Even when dewormed, it may come out with some form but still be extremely soft. It sounds like they are doing pretty good and momma is too. A good way of knowing if the pups are ready to start weaning is checking for teeth. If they have teeth coming in, I start weaning. The other thing you should do is trim the pups nails. Those sharp nails can create scratches on the breast that can leave to breast infections. She also won't want to nurse if they are scratching her when nursing.

Everything seems to be going good. They are very large pups so a little supplementing shouldn't hurt anything and might make the transition to puppy food easier since they will be used to the taste of the formula and will know the mush is food for them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can the pups still get worms if momma tested negative for any kind of worms? At the vet they ran a stool test and she was clear of any worms but if I need to begin treating them I will right away. I thought the little balls looked like curds or cottage cheese balls. Just tiny. Weird analogy, but the closest I can think of for comparison. At the mention of scratches or infection I checked her over and she isn't showing any scratches, oddly enough the pups jerk their heads to knead the teets. They'll push their whole face into the teet. The female and the bigger boy are the only ones who use their paws for kneading. The runt has a tendency to latch onto skin between the teets so she has a few little hickey looking spots but that's all I can see on her belly. Are baby nail clippers okay for their nails? I still have a pair from when my Zayne was a baby. I'm going to trim them just to be safe. They crawl over one another all the time, don't want anyone getting scratched on their faces or anything. So I can give some of the Esbilac if anyone doesn't get enough of momma milk? On the dropper, it has a hash mark at 2.5 mL , should I give them more than that or is that okay? Seems to me that with as large as they are, that may not be enough for one feeding.I'm not sure if I had specified but the male that sired these pups is approximately 3x Shadows size. He appears to be a German Shepherd and either Chow or Akita mixed. He is very large and rather fluffy with German Shepherd markings. Sitting on my bed and him sitting on his hind end, he nearly looks me in the eyes. I was afraid for her carrying his pups to begin with.

Usually when a female is pregnant, the hormonal shift of being pregnant causes worm eggs that are laying dormant to hatch. Since it is the fecal matter that is tested for worm eggs, unless the worms are adults and laying eggs, they won't show up on a fecal exam. If she was tested recently and did not have worms then it is likely the pups do not either. Pups almost always have worms though.

It is just routine to deworm them at 2, 4, 6, and 8 weeks of age or close to that schedule to ensure they do not pick up worms. If mom was tested close to birth and was clear, they should be as well in which case, that is probably fat you are seeing ins the feces.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They ran the fecal test the day I rushed her to the vet after I had asked you about the lu.p between her teets (which has gone away since then)? Would that be too late? Eh. I'm going to treat regardless for safety's sake. Unless that could do them harm?

If she was clean the pups should be as well. I'd hold off and then ask the vet to do a fecal when they have their first check up which is usually at 6 weeks. Now if they develop a lot of runny poops that don't firm up after a couple of days once they are weaned, then have them tested but they would only contract them from her at this point.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, yes ma'am. I hope that I haven't overstayed my welcome on this site with you. But I can assure you that your knowledge is my lifeline with these babies. The vet said they would do the check ups at 2,4, and 6 weeks old if I was interested. I may take them up on that just to have that hands on approval. There could be things that I may not be able to recognise as well as he would in person.

I never take them in at 2 weeks. If there are any unusual lumps (possible abscess from puncture wound) I might take them in at 4 but usually I take them in at 6 weeks since you can start vaccinations at 6 weeks and it gives you a chance to be sure they are worm free by the time they go to new homes at 8 weeks. I'm more than happy to keep helping you. This is all pretty much part of the original question. The site just asks you start a new question if it is unrelated. We are good and will continue to be. I'm glad you are asking questions and are pleased with the site.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. This site has been a total lifesaver, you being part of it as well. With that being said, I will hold off unless something changes or something unusual occurs. For now their eyes are opening, they're moving around really well and are extremely verbal. I don't see any cause for concern right now.

I also do not see any issues at this point in time.

Wow. Dad is big. No wonder those pups are growing like weeds. I bet they get teeth pretty early.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had felt around a bit when a few of them tried suckling on my hand . I was giving them wipey baths because they had various bodily fluids on them. And I didn't feel any yet. But I'll continue to subtly feel around here and there.

I've only had 2 pups with abscesses in 20 years but it is something to look for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay yes ma'am. Around where would that occur and what should I feel for?

Usually around the shoulders or the hips since it usually occurs when mom tries to pull them out as they are being born or move them around right after they are born.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need help!!!! Shadow has been shaking her head a lot and I looked in her ear and now I'm freaking OUT! Please please please tell me there's something I can do to flush out her ear or something?!? I don't understand why this has happened. I've kept her sleeping area as clean as I can. Unless something got to her while she was outside. She's itching at it a lot as well. . If I need to make a new question guess I can pay again. I just don't want to pay twice if I end up having to rush her to the vet again. They're not expensive by no means. But they're not cheap either. And whatever she needs, I'll do. Just really hoping there may be a homeopathic or home remedy for treatment or something that I can do to help clear it up with store bought products? I have saline solution but I've always been told it's horrible to put any fluid into a dog's ears. I think it may be an ear infection? Idk. But it appears wet with blood in there as well. The only thing I might be able to think of is that baby poo got into her ear while she was laying down? They crawl all over her and sometimes I don't get to them right away? Oh I feel so terrible! Ive had to give them wipey baths every day and I'm still struggling to keep them clean because I'm a full time mechanic and also a mother of 3. So I've devoted every bit of time I can find to trying to keep up with the 7 of them. But I feel like I'm failing at this point. They're all growing and I've been able to supplement them with the milk replacer in between feeding from shadow so that she can sustain more before they drink it all. But now she's got what looks like an ear infection. The hair around her ear is hardened and I don't know if it's from her ear draining something when she shakes her head or dried...well you know. And it had to have been from the early hours because their feces has been solid most the day. I had cleaned some off of the broad of her chest yesterday but I didn't think to clean inside her ear? I feel responsible for her discomfort. It would just be amazing to be able to make it better. I wanna fix it. My poor girl. She's giving all she's got to these babies, she doesn't need nor deserve to be any more uncomfortable than she already is.

Hi again,

A black discharge could indicate an ear infection or mites. Mites, however, are not common in adult dogs. You can read about them here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ear_mites.html

If you take a bit of the discharge and put it on a piece of white paper and circle it with a pet mark so if it is mites, over the course of an hour or so, they will have moved out of the circle. That is a way of knowing if it is an infection or mites. The blood is likely from scratching the ear.

It is probably a yeast or bacterial infection. You can use a mixture of distilled vinegar, water and alcohol on a cotton ball to gently clean the ear. The alcohol helps evaporate any excess fluid that remains from the cleaning.

In a yeast infection, you will see a golden to black buildup in the ear. You may also notice redness and bleeding, head shaking and your dog scratching the ear as well. You can try some miconazole cream to see if it helps until you can get in to see the Vet, but it isn’t a cure for underlying condition

You should have your vet look at it and determine if it is fungal or bacterial in nature so the appropriate medication can be given. Ear infections are not pleasant for your dog and I hope you can get him seen soon.

The following site has a recipe for a home remedy that may provide some relief.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

Zymox with cortisone has been used by some experts to clear ear infections as well. You can read about it here:

http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Zymox.html

What I saw does not look too bad. You also have pups digging in the ears as they search for nipples and those nails are almost razor sharp so be sure to clip them back if you haven't already done so. You can bathe mom now, just be sure she is dry before going back with the pups. I use newspaper or painters brown paper in the whelping area as you can layer it and remove a layer at a time as it becomes soiled. Now some breeders will use fleece throws in the whelping area and replace and wash them at least daily or more often. It helps keep them cleaner and as a result mom stays cleaner.

I know how hard it is and once they eat solid foods it can be a never ending battle to keep them clean and the pen clean. It helps if you have an area outside that is disease free that you can feed them at which will allow them to eliminate outside as soon as they have finished eating. I usually let mine start eating outside at 5 weeks or so. While it is hard bringing them in and out of the house, it saves on cleaning time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ms Jane, firstly i would like to apologize for the way that I addressed you in my previous letter. Demanding help is no way to treat someone whose given me a lot of help already. So I apologize. Thank you again for your guidance. With that said, will call the animal Hospital she is registered to and make her an appointment. From the description you gave and what I see, seems more on the yeast infection realm but will try the mite test to eliminate the possibility. I've been rotating her bedding between 4 blankets that get washed and rotated with her 2 puppy pads, like cushioned pads.
Shadow will be getting another bath tomorrow. She got a bath on Saturday, hadn't thought it would be any harm and I hope that it wasn't too soon. As far as the babies go, I will continue with wipes and mineral oil until they can have baths too. And again, seriously cannot thank you enough for your time and assistance. Most importantly your patience with me.

I did not take any offense. You just seemed very concerned and a little frustrated perhaps which I totally understand. We had pups here born 12-9 and another litter 1-18 then another 2-21 and one due any day. Now none of them were huge litters but a lot of cleaning of multiple pups, moms and whelping areas and all of it is inside since we whelp and raise the pups inside. I definitely understand and no need to apologize at all.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Good afternoon Ms.Jane! I have a curious question
I've been keeping a bowl of puppy food and a bowl of water by the closet for Shadow when she is in the closet but today alone I've seen 3 pups walk over and try to eat the puppy food. Should I make a bowl up puppy food mush available to them in case they WANT to start eating real food?

You can do that. Often that is the first sign that they are ready to be weaned. They should only be a couple of days shy of three weeks anyway. So they are letting you know that they are ready to eat puppy food.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Yay!! I just wanted to make sure that they weren't too young. Thank you!! ������ oh! I should still mix the milk replacer in to soften the food up right?! And so they're still getting the milks nutrients?

that is how I do it and it has worked well for 20 years.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Is it still too soon to bathe them? They are officially filthy after stepping into the food a million times over. I was thinking I could use my blowdryer set on the low warm level so they aren't getting too cold and also so I'm not hurting them with excessive heat? Just a thought. But they sure do need a bath now.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I made 2 bowls of milk/food stuff. I heated it up for about 1 minute to help the food absorb the milk and then let it cool down a good bit, but I gave it to them while it was still a little warm since they're used to mommas milk and it's obviously at least body temperature. But yeah, no one choked and both bowls are cleaned. Lol

At three weeks of age they can regulate their own body temperature. At that point they can be bathed but you should still be sure you towel dry them as thoroughly as possible, You can use a hair dryer on the cool setting to help finish drying. They should finish drying in a draft free warm area to help prevent any respiratory illness from occurring

Be careful with the microwave and food. It can create pockets that are much hotter than the rest of the food. I usually take a Canister (such as sugar) and put all the food for the day in it and add the water and allow a few hours for it to puff up. It does sound like they were definitely ready to start on puppy food. Now watch for constipation.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
ma'am. I blew on the food while stirring it around to help ensure there wouldn't be any that was too hot. Basically been treating it like I'm caring for a human baby. I wouldn't give any of my babies (human or not) anything that I wouldn't eat. Don't want anyone burning their tongues or throats. And I will make sure their room is set, new padding and blankets, their space heater will be turned on for a bit before taking them back in there to dry off so that it's good and warm and thankfully their room is in a corner of the house that's cut off from everything so there shouldn't be concern of a draft. But I will get in there with them to make sure there aren't any cool breezes or anything. They turn 3 weeks old tomorrow... Should I wait until tomorrow evening to give them baths? Or is 18 hours shy of 3 weeks okay? Haha I just don't want to risk hurting them in any way. I apologise if these things seems obvious or trivial. But common sense isn't always the best approach. You're experience and knowledge are much more certain than my educated guesses. These babies are SO precious to me. I'd hate myself for being the cause of any illness in them. Say for some odd reason someone does get constipated, what should I do to help loosen things up? My son's doctor gave me a big canister of infant/children's laxative. It's a powder that is added to juice or water, whatever the case may be. Would a small fraction of a small child's dosage be too aggressive for their bodies? I mean I don't know. I'm just throwing something out there with what I have available to me. My mom said she used to massage my sister's tummy when she would get backed up to help break things loose, if they get backed up should I try that before using any artificial methods?

It is a gradual thing so they should be ok to do it a day or two early. I wouldn't give any laxative to pups this young. If they get constipated you can just take their temperature which usually gets them going. You could also use a bulb syringe to gently squirt a small amount of fluid into the rectum. That works as an enema. And finally, most dogs are lactose intolerant so if you give them a tiny amount of cows milk, it gives them diarrhea and will stop constipation. These are better than medications.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Awesome. That is exactly what I was praying for. don't want to give them anything unnatural. I got rid of the bulbs when it was found out that mold had grown inside one of them. If one had mold, the likelihood of the others having it was pretty high. Would a little medicine syringe be okay? Similar to this? I have a smaller one somewhere, just need to dig it out and give it a good cleaning. Mind you, this is just in case
At this point they've all been peeing and pooping on their own for a good bit now. And their poo has solidified a good bit too. Not all the way, but it has form. The little white balls have almost gone away entirely.Thank you a 1,000 times over. I can't even explain how much you've helped.

I know what you mean. I keep one on hand anyway for that purpose. They now make one that can be opened and cleaned. The end of that syringe may be a little rough on a pup's rectum since they are hard plastic. I have used one of those with a catheter. I have them on hand in case I need to tube feed a pup. Lots of companies will send you one or two as free samples.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay okay that sounds like a much better option. Thank you for the suggestion. Well, instruction really. I'm not certain where to get a sample from but I'm sure there will be a commercial on at some point. I could just Google it as well. But I will go to Wal-Mart and try to find a cleanable bulb syringe.

You learn tricks when you have been breeding for so long.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Ms Jane I need help. One of these puppies has runny poop and from what it seems to be some blood I don't understand how because he's eating milk and food and somehow he is the only puppy that has blood in his poop. I've been trying to get a freaking photo to add but for some odd reason I can't get this site to allow me to add another photo! It's not a lot, more pink than red but it's persistent.
Customer reply replied 15 days ago
I'm scared because I don't understand what could've caused it! They have all been perfectly fine up until this point and I can't let him to go his forever home sick! I'm scared and I feel responsible. Should I rush him to a vet?

The most common reason for blood in the feces is parasites mainly worms. He probably just needs to be dewormed again. I'd deworm him and perhaps have a sample tested at your vet office to rule out any protozoan infection which can also lead to some blood in the feces. As long as he is eating and drinking relatively normal you do not need to worry too much. I'd deworm the whole litter. They are a little over 4 weeks so it is likely time for the second deworming.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner