Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is a 13 year old golden hip trouble but won’t poop

Customer Question
She is a 13...

She is a 13 year old golden hip trouble but won’t poop eating very little but drinking water just no get up and go anymore

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Rosie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?

No she lost her parents but that was in aug then one nov we are her family she knew us well

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

***************

Is she on any medication?

How long has she had hip problems?

Is it cold where you are? (I am in a different region)

No meds heart guard hip like 6 years it’s been cold but we keep her indoors out poop walks etc

Ok.

Is she slow to rise in the mornings or after resting?

I would txt she is moaning a lot but getting up hard she is drinking water she just seems miserable
Can’t call

ok. Moaning is a little bit of a concern.

It does sound like she may have some arthritis in her hips/spine and this would explain her struggling to get up. Often dogs seem to cope with this arthritis for a while but then suddenly one day it is too painful and they cannot rise.

Given she is moaning indicates that she is probably in more sudden pain and this could be more than just arthritis.

How many hours until your vet is open (I am in a different time zone)?