Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is breastfeeding and I noticed that her nipples are…

Customer Question
My dog is breastfeeding...

My dog is breastfeeding and I noticed that her nipples are turning purple I wonder if her nipples are swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella and she is 1 year and 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

At the beggining she wasnt producing enough milk and she received a shot to help stimulate her milk

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I might be of some help.

If you feel her mammary glands / teats are any of them seemingly painful to her or hot to the touch compared to the rest of her skin? If you express milk from them does it all appear normal or do any of them seem to look more like pus?

Write me back and I will reply as soon as I am able to, to continue the discussion. Thanks!