Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is 13 diabetic and blind. He is very restless this

Customer Question
He is 13 diabetic...

He is 13 diabetic and blind. He is very restless this evening and panting lightly. He’s been dragging his butt the last couple of days but just had his glans squeezed about a month ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Tater

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tater?

He’s a cairn terrier. He’s been very healthy until 2 years ago when he got diabetes. He just had a check up last month and the vet said his heart and lungs sounded great and he weighed the same as that time last year

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I can be of help.

Even though he had his anal glands expressed a month ago it may be that they are bothering him again. This isn't urgent, but get them checked. If they are fine, you might want to consider checking a stool sample for parasites as this is another possible cause of scooting.

Similarly, despite him being in to your local vet last month with apparently normal heart and lungs on physical examination, that does not guarantee that is not a concern at this time, the fact that he is acting different indicates that something internally may be different with him, and his heart and lungs should be checked again carefully given this concern. There are other possibilities to consider as well. He could be restless and panting from some type of discomfort, for example back pain, mild nausea, etc. He could be panting from some type of anxiety/stress trigger - especially being older and blind this increases as a possibility, it could be an expression of some canine cognitive dysfunction (doggy alzheimers if you will). Given he's a diabetic, if his diabetes is poorly regulated this may lead to acid/base imbalances in his blood which can result in panting in an attempt to compensate for this issue. Or, it could be a different internal derangement, such as cushings disease, which is an overactive adrenal gland and may be concurrent in a diabetic.

In short, there are lot's of possible causes for your concerns. A repeat physical examination given the noted change at home is indicated. Depending on physical examination findings, further diagnostics might be suggested, probably starting with some routine bloodwork and maybe chest x-rays. Other diagnostics that might be considered could include an adrenal function test, a urinalysis, blood gas analysis, and a blood glucose curve.

If he appears to be having difficulty breathing, has pale pink or white or purple looking gums, or seems to be in a great deal of pain or is otherwise worsening, seen urgent assessment with a local veterinarian. Otherwise, I'd contact your usual local vet during regular business hours in the morning to schedule to get him looked at, if you mention you're concerned about him panting / indicate respiratory concern, they will likely want to get you in the same day if at all possible.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have other comments or questions. Write me back and I will reply as soon as I am able to.

Please be sure at this time to go ahead and rate kindly using the stars on your screen, this is how I receive credit for taking the time to respond to your question this evening, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian