Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Do you charge for advise? She is vomiting has diarrhea and…

Customer Question
Do you charge for...

Do you charge for advise?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She is vomiting has diarrhea and wont ear her food

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of shes outside in the morning a lot while Im getting ready for work

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Ari and shes almost a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ari?

No shes healthy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cant switch to phone call I am at work

I am very sorry to hear about your girl Ari vomiting, refusing to eat and having soft stools and I'd like to help.

Vomiting and soft stools can be related to something as simple as a quick change in diet or treats or getting into something she should not have like the garbage, a bug, plant material or a toxin. More serious causes are viral or bacterial infections, gastrointestinal parasites including worms and protozoal parasites, pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers like lymphoma.

Is your girl current on her vaccines?

Does she go to dog parks or doggie daycare or has she recently been boarded?

Is she a pup that likes to chew on and ingest things she shouldn't?

Is she happy, bright, playful and alert as usual?

Is she running a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?

If she seems perfectly normal otherwise it is possible that she got into something that didn't agree with her and that caused stomach upset and irritation and diarrhea.

If she seems normal other wise there are a few things we can try.

To try and settle her stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

Either of these will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. These medications can be used for a few days as needed as they are quite safe.

I would not feed her any food for 24 hours after the acid reducers are started.

This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with vomiting and diarrhea. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make her intestinal irritation worse. Do not her drink too much at any one time as that can lead to vomiting.

Today even with the fast a couple hours after the acid reducers if her stools are getting looser you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound of body weight or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8-12 hours. This will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. If she gets mucous in her stools then add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. Feed small meals frequently until you figure out that it is sitting well with her, then gradually increase the amount and decrease meal frequency. I would start with 1/4 cup for the first meal.

Once she feels better (no vomiting or looses stools for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too even if she seems to improve as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to refuse to eat or vomit even with the acid reducers, becomes very lethargic, or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible on an emergency basis as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she seems to be acting normal when she goes outside and stuff she just wont eat food and her stomach doesn't seem tense or painful she doesn't react to it being pushed on

Those are all positive signs.

I would try one of the acid reducers I recommended, a food fast and the bland diet and see how she comes along.

You can add the kao-pectate too if her stools are very, very loose too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok we will try that

Best of luck with your pup, let me know how things go for her.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian