Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Not eating or drinking for 2 days, vomiting foam, not

Customer Question
Not eating or drinking...

Not eating or drinking for 2 days, vomiting white foam, not sleeping, just walking around kind of confused. If he drinks a little water he will throw it up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Medium poodle. About 18 years old. We are visiting Florida from Ny

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the poodle?

I do not think of anything else.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- How much does he weigh?

Christine, if he has not been eating or drinking and is vomiting for 2 days I am really concerned about his hydration. Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. Common causes in an older dog are kidney or liver disease, tumors, hormonal disorders, infection, etc. to name a few causes.

I understand that you are visiting in FL from NY, but, your dog should not wait any longer to see a veterinarian. Strongly recommend having him checked tonight by ER veterinarian. The attending vet will start him on a supportive care of IV fluids while running some tests to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, do not give things like Pepto Bismol. You can start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi Christine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian